TD5 Defender

· 7 · 1773

woodtink

TD5 Defender
« on: November 01, 2011, 06:53:53 PM »
Hi guys hope to buy a td5 very shortly however i have heard some horror stories , clutch and fuel problems ,are they as bad as this.I have been running a 300tdi disco for the last 2 years and wanted to up grade . ::) ::) ::)

Alanhid

Re: TD5 Defender
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 07:38:14 PM »
I`ve had my TD5 for about 20 months (06) and only issue I had was a leaky clutch master cylinder which was an easy fix. Early TD5s did have some issues to do with fuel in the oil...or something. A good website that has loads of information on TD5s is Landyzone

Love mine....... ;D

coolcamper55

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 09:55:30 PM »
Its like any vehicle, you only hear of the troubles, yes they have ailments peculiar to the TD5 itself but the main difference from the 300TDi is the complexity of electronics. Mostly they are reliable but common complaints are things that you have already said the clutch hydraulics (but at ?35 parts and an hours effort no big deal), the accelerator pedal, pottentiometer has a tendency to pack up,and the normal Land Rover issues of bad earthing. Not a very good environment for fitting VHF radio kit
If you are thinking of holding onto it for a while might be worth getting a Nanocom. It can be an absolute life saver when things play up.
The one thing I never really got used to was the noise level but coming from a 300Tdi should be no real bother to you.

Tommy

Tommy B

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 10:52:01 PM »

Got to agree with what's been said - had a 300TDi RRC, then 'upgraded' to a TD5 Disco.  12 months ago I got rid of that and got a TD5 90.  It's noisey, doesn't have heated seats, air con, electric windows, etc, etc, etc, but it's been great.  A few niggles, but nothing major - even the fuel economy surprisingly good (although doesn't go a fast as the Disco, but it is as aerodynamic as a breezeblock.

Go for it!
Never Apologise - Never Explain                     (Sorry, I should say I read that in a book somewhere!!)

ruaritreble

• ruariboy
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 10:38:14 AM »
I've had my 2001 TD5 110 for 2 years - not a single problem with engine, fuel or clutch.
I could tell you swivel balls, UJ's, CV joint etc replaced. But you expect that.
Karis 110 - The perfect way to get a MTB to the top of the hill.
Power to the pedal!

Myrtle Air Portable - V8
------------------------
MM6IIO
------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/ruariboy

http://s826.photobucket.com/home/ruariboy

tio

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 08:15:55 PM »
your main focus should be the chassis as td5 chassis were made from old biscuit tins, most things are about the same price to fix on a td5 as tdi, troll a few forums to highlight areas to watch for, places like lro and the disco2boys club,

woodtink

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 05:18:14 PM »
Thanks guys for all the info.