V8 Ticking

· 8 · 1500

bertracoon1616

V8 Ticking
« on: November 12, 2013, 10:16:12 AM »
Hi guys

Just noticed a ticking noise started from my Disco a few weeks ago. Ive had a gander and i think it's coming from the power steering pump. It is most noticeable at idle and you hear it speed up under acceleration and then it goes away completely on the overrun. I have taken the oil filler cap off and shined a torch down while running and the noise doesn't get any louder and i can see oil getting dribbled down onto the valve so hoping its not a knackered tappet or something but like i said i think its the steering pump.

Anybody had anything like this before? Just want to double check before i pull it to bits or buy a replacement.

Cheers

Ally
1995 Discovery 3.9 V8

Give it the beans!!

rangerovering

Re: V8 Ticking
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 10:23:15 AM »
Long screwdriver against the engine in various places and listen.

Is it different when hot or cold? Check its not a failed exhaust manifold gasket they often sound metallic when blowing.

Take the steering pump belt off and see if it goes away?
Steve

bertracoon1616

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 09:09:41 AM »
hey steve.

yeah. Ive tried the screwdriver trick but couldn't find anything. ill have another look today.

looks like im going for the pull to bits option then!
1995 Discovery 3.9 V8

Give it the beans!!

bertracoon1616

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 02:48:38 PM »
Right, just gave it an oil change and had a proper listen with a big chisel and i CANNOT work out what is making this noise. It still sounds like it might be the power steering pump but also maybe further in down towards the camshaft are. But then it also sounds like its coming from down near the head gasket on the passengers side. Its running smoothly aside from this. Still pulls really well.

Makes no difference whether its hot or cold.

Cheers
1995 Discovery 3.9 V8

Give it the beans!!

cooltshirt

• savethegaywhale.com
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 03:33:00 PM »
These noises on V8s are often valve train ............... as a general rule if it's there all the time it's worn rocker shaft/gear if it comes and goes it's a sticky hydraulic tappet.

It's all pretty common stuff I'm afraid, as google will tell you, ......... there are various solutions, new parts.....(doing rocker shaft or tappets is straight forward, but the latter involves removing the valley gasket) thicker oil (yes really!) or sometimes the oil pressure relief valve needs attention.

Removing the power steering belt to eliminate or otherwise the pump would be useful. But I reckon valve train.

If you can find someone who has worked on alot of these engines they may well diagnose accurately and also say how serious it is.

Good luck!
1983 110 V8. RIP

bertracoon1616

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 05:45:58 PM »
Cheers buddy.

Yeah i had a sneaking suspicion that it might be something like that. Ive been meaning to give it some TLC anyway. Ill keep running it for a while and see how it gets on. Typical that im due to start a new job on Monday and it starts playing up now. But then again i suppose at least it had the decency to wait till i HAD a job before it broke down!

Ill keep this updated and let you all know how i get on. Might even do a technical about replacing the top end on a V8...who knows.

Cheers again.
1995 Discovery 3.9 V8

Give it the beans!!

dave

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 08:22:30 AM »
More than likely a sticky tappet. A wee bit of carbon will be blocking the oil hole stopping it from lifting as it fills with oil. Try another oil change but this time flush the engine properly with a forte engine flush. Also use a good quality 15/40 non synthetic oil.

bertracoon1616

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 02:15:45 PM »
Found it!

It was indeed....(drum roll).....a leaky exhaust manifold gasket! Stuffed my hand down near the manifolds and there are nice puffs of warm air coming through.
My top end lives to fight another day.

Cheers for all the help again

Ally

1995 Discovery 3.9 V8

Give it the beans!!