v8 from disco into 1986 landy 90.

· 15 · 3858

scotdub

v8 from disco into 1986 landy 90.
« on: November 27, 2010, 08:12:51 PM »

Ok have purchased a 1986 landrover 90 and has goosed 2.5dt engine and have a freind selling a 1995 discovery v8.  how difficuilt would it be to fit the v8 into the 90?
Dose anyone know of anybody doing this or a thred started by someone doing this conversion.

Any help would be much appreciated before I buy a v8.

Thanks

Gary

rangerovering

Re: v8 from disco into 1986 landy 90.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 08:48:36 PM »
It's a good conversion. You will need to put the full disco running gear in, new engine/box chassis mounts, new fuel tank with injection pump, new fuel lines. EFI V8's are not difficult to wire in, it is a pretty rudimentary system.
It would be very sensible to seriously upgrade the brakes and at least update the suspension if not done already. Disc brakes on the rear would be good, you could even take the disco axles if it has ABS and transfer the lot onto the 90, just replacing pads/discs. The ABS will be hugely beneficial for stopping 185bhp (although it won't be chucking out as much as that now!) and you know the job is done properly.
The V8 will almost certainly need a new camshaft and followers if it has done anything over 70k miles. They are notorious for wearing out. Don't scrimp on servicing, genuine LR ignition parts are a must, avoid anything else - it's either rubbish or an overpriced gimick. If you are not sure, there are some very knowledgable people who can help you out (but be weary of the 90% who don't have a clue about V8's!). They are not complex things, it's just the majority of folk are too caught up in slagging them off to actually learn how to look after one properly!
Worth a go, V8 90's are a nice thing!

Steve

Graeme

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 09:05:37 PM »
disagre with your camshaft opinion i had a 3*9 rrc with 133500 miles and ran perfect serviced evey 3000 miles though

rangerovering

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 09:54:18 PM »
disagre with your camshaft opinion i had a 3*9 rrc with 133500 miles and ran perfect serviced evey 3000 miles though

Exactly, and how many are serviced that meticulously!

Know of engines that have spat them out after 20k miles, rounded lobes the lot. Some are just really badly made. Forgot to mention above that replacing the timing gears and chain when doing the cam is necessary, the chain stretches and saps power and performance.
Steve

georgew

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 12:35:50 AM »
Is it a manual gearbox V8 Discovery?

It will not be so hugely difficult,
 but is it really worth it compared to just getting a 200tdi engine & fitting it.
& some upgrading to your ninety if required,
a few days work,
a couple of hundred pounds &
with fuel getting towards ?6.00 a gallon, some economy from a diesel needs thinking about.

Rangerovering makes fitting ABS from a Discovery to a 1986 ninety sound very easy
 & doesnt mention the need for suitable propshafts, exhaust etc
At least you can get most of the donor bits you require from the Discovery & sell the rest.

Its all down to how good the Disco & the Ninety is & your skills to keep the price of the conversion down.
george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

geoff

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 07:10:57 AM »
Hi

For an easy life, sell the 90 and buy a V8 disco. You'll probably get some change.
Warm, dry, ABS, quiet etc, etc

90s & 110s are hard work. They might be a 4x4 icon, but are hard work.

Some will disagree with this but they are kidding themselves on ;D ;D

standing by for abuse!!

Geoff

scotdub

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 04:19:52 PM »
Thanks for the info you make it sound easy. I am not scared of welding and spanners but wireing knowlege is a little basic. but I do have a wireing genius of a friend so that helps.

THe disco is a manual i think. will check tomorrow.

will the manual box fit heard that disco's have a longer gearbox and wount fit a 90 but i don't know the difference.

would it be benificial to get both haynes books.

Don't know the millage of the engine but will also find that out tomorrow.

How difficuilt is it to lpg.

Would be awsome and sound insane.  the 90 is not that bad a condition bit of welding and some new brakes and engine. Supose i could just transfer most of the stuff from the disco.

Thanks for the help.  Have been searching for a guide on the intraweb but still no luck. Just to even see a rough guide to whats involved and what new parts i would need apart from service parts and cam and chain ect.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP GUY'S

Gary 

MudBucket

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 04:48:03 PM »
I took a 3.9 v8 and autobox from a rr classic and put it into my 1985 110.
kept the transfer box where it was (propshafts remained the same) and moved the engine mounts for the engine. Had to make 1 mount for the gearbox side and fiddle with the exhaust, do a bit of butchery to the inner wings to fit the rad. takes time and a wee bit of effort but not impossible.
very pleased with the results. Has been going strong now for a few years, camshaft etc never got touched, but i'll get round to it sometime.

the tank i has on the 110 was for a v8 anyway, so just swapped the pump from the classic.
have not changed the brakes, standard 110 from and drum rears, with the autobox you tend to use the brakes more as the engine braking is nowhere near as good as a manual.
had to make a mounting for the transfer box gear lever as well.

there are probably a few things i've missed, tunnel gaitor etc, but in general it can be done relatively easy.

cheers.

geoffg

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 05:53:24 PM »
Gary
I've a 110TDi 110, 1992, that has a 4.6 V8 in it on LPG. The conversion was done by RPI Engineering. I'd contact them for any advice as Chris and Lisa of RPI are probably the best in Britain when it comes to converting to V8 from diesel.
  "Chris Crane" <info2@rpiv8.com>
Or visit their website:
http://www.v8engines.com/
Geoff  :)

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 08:13:10 PM »
I still regret the loss of my factory V8 90. Written off by a clown in a Co-op truck.

RIP C383 SPL.  :(
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

stage recovery

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 04:56:13 PM »
Gene,  was that the one that was written off by your insurance company as a total loss only for it to be sold on to somebody from a certain off road club who shall remain nameless!

scotdub

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 06:19:09 PM »
ok I went and had a look at the disco and spoke to my friend. he said it aint running on all cylinders. has 130k so guessing cams and such like need done.

I know it would be insane but fuel economy has been playing on my mind and the fact that the expence of doing it would probably get a tad out of hand.

thanks  for all your advice its been helpful. 

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 09:45:07 PM »
Gene,  was that the one that was written off by your insurance company as a total loss only for it to be sold on to somebody from a certain off road club who shall remain nameless!

The very one. I was rung up, some while after being told by the scrappers that the vehicle had been completely dismantled, by a guy asking if I had spare keys as it was blocking his drive.....

Name and shame - Forsyths of Denny. 
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

landysam1

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 10:03:05 PM »
Hi
Just been reading your post, I am doing the same conversion with a 3.9 efi auto into a 1986 90 like you I am not good with the wiring side of the EFI so if your mate fancies doing another one we could come to some arrangement. I am at the rolling chassis stage and will be fitting the engine soon.

would be greatful of the help or advice.

if you are interested I will send my pn No

regards
sam

scotdub

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 08:31:22 PM »
Hi Sam,

am not doning the conversion anymore as the engine i was going to get was abit of a bin and i didn't want the expence to get to drastic. cause once your start you have to finish regardless of the cost.

But good luck with the conversion and keep us updated. There are a lot of helpfull people on here so you wont be stuck.

Good luck.

Gary