V8 Ignition Parts - Where to get?

· 7 · 1841

Ian A

V8 Ignition Parts - Where to get?
« on: October 06, 2015, 08:37:55 AM »
Hi All

Anyone out there suggest anywhere to get good quality ignition parts from (rotor, cap, leads, coil, etc) for 3.9 V8

Also I've seen 8mm HT leads and 10mm HT leads (the 10mm being a lot more money) is there any advantage of the 10mm?

Thanks

Ian

rangerovering

Re: V8 Ignition Parts - Where to get?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 01:45:26 PM »
SimonBBC/Powerspark Ignition (as they are known on eBay). Really good quality and prices, everything is made to original Lucas Spec or better.

Cap leads and rotor arm should be about £25
Steve

neils

• Name: Neil Scott
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 08:17:00 PM »
SimonBBC/Powerspark Ignition (as they are known on eBay). Really good quality and prices, everything is made to original Lucas Spec or better.

Cap leads and rotor arm should be about £25

I'll second that, got my distributor etc from them no problems and fast service.
88" coil v8 trials motor
S111 Project
62 Willys Wagon (project)  shh keep this quiet!

Greigboy

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 11:48:25 PM »
Just to put in a bit of balance, I got a set of leads from powerspark, allegedly for a rover V8, however the lengths were different from the ones I took off some a bit shorter others much longer, they did look them part, but on changing the plugs a couple of months down the line 3 of them fell to bits.
Contacted powerspark and they said I removed them from the plug incorrectly, and caused the leads to fail, hence no replacement, after 20 years in the motor trade I kinda know how to take a plug lead off :)

Replaced with a set of champion leads which have been off for servicing without issue, I potentially had a one off bad set, but if I was buying expensive leads again they would be magnecor
1986 Land Rover 90 CSW V8

Ian A

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 11:02:36 AM »
Thanks guy's

I'll give SimonBBC/Powerspark Ignition a go and if they aren't up to the job I'll send them back

Cheers

Ian

rangerovering

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 04:40:00 PM »
Just to put in a bit of balance, I got a set of leads from powerspark, allegedly for a rover V8, however the lengths were different from the ones I took off some a bit shorter others much longer, they did look them part, but on changing the plugs a couple of months down the line 3 of them fell to bits.
Contacted powerspark and they said I removed them from the plug incorrectly, and caused the leads to fail, hence no replacement, after 20 years in the motor trade I kinda know how to take a plug lead off :)

Replaced with a set of champion leads which have been off for servicing without issue, I potentially had a one off bad set, but if I was buying expensive leads again they would be magnecor

On my third set now and havent had a problem with lead lengths myself. I have found removing the leads after they have done their 2 years often results in the ends pulling off - not ideal, although inbetween times they have been ok.

Had Magnecors and the fit onto the plug was horrendous and having compared to a few other sets I have seen on vehicles they are all just as bad. They were loose and wobbled around a lot.
Steve

Greigboy

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 08:23:15 PM »

On my third set now and havent had a problem with lead lengths myself. I have found removing the leads after they have done their 2 years often results in the ends pulling off - not ideal, although inbetween times they have been ok.

Yup, mine were only on a couple of months though, as I said though it may just have been a bad batch, but the customer services could have been better though.
1986 Land Rover 90 CSW V8