Converting county hardtop to station wagon

· 10 · 5931

vag_landy

• Name: Greg Leighton
Converting county hardtop to station wagon
« on: June 24, 2012, 04:06:50 PM »
Im testing the water at the moment on what I need to convert my 90 county hard top to station wagon or am I better to sell up and buy a station wagon. I would be very grateful if anyone can give me a estimate on the cost to convert I would be doing it myself. If anyone has pictures of there conversions I would like to see them I already have the full headlining and alpine windows as its a county model . How easy going are the insurance companies as I'm with Lancaster .
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Re: Converting county hardtop to station wagon
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 06:38:59 PM »
Its not that difficult and I've had no probs with my Insurers - NFU - Just declared it as a 6 seater. Likewise no issues with MOT - the rear seats are "not part of the test" as far as my MOT station are concerned - and they sell Landrovers so they should know !

The key thing is to measure and mark the space where the windows are going very carefully. How the windows go in will depend on what you buy, most of the aftermarket windows are made to bolt or rivet in place, with the fasteners covered up a two piece rubber "filler". Basically you make up a template, mark it out then drill a hole large enough to get a jigsaw in and cut out the section ( same for main windows or alpine lights. Then you offer up the main windows, drill through where the fasteners are going ( Rivets are easist, last time I used m4 stainless countersunk machine-screws and shake-proof nuts. Take the window out again, silicone all round it, offer it up again, bolt/rivet it up and take a break. This is because putting the rubber filler in is a pain. The filler comes in two parts, a fatter big bit with a smaller triangular bit that squashes the edges out and tightens it all up. Washing up liquid is a great lubricant for this bit, as you attempt to push the triangle into place. A handily sized blunt screwdriver maybe ? The professionals have a nattty triangular wire on a handle thingy.

The alpine lights are similar, except they are held in place with just a rubber surround....and the triangular filler job again.

Here is mine .... ( The alpine lights were already in it but the sides I did myself..)

If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

vag_landy

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 08:53:52 PM »
Nice conversion what seats did you fit in rear , how are the seat belts secured, in my dads 110 csw there is a hoop which bolts to the rear cross member .
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

wildwoodflower

• Name: Kathy
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 10:23:28 PM »
Here's a thought - rather than mess about with putting in side windows and alpine lights, why not buy a complete top? They do come up on eBay. You may find that it is cheaper to buy a roof and the side panels - with station wagon windows - separately.

genem

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 10:45:32 PM »
Nice conversion what seats did you fit in rear , how are the seat belts secured, in my dads 110 csw there is a hoop which bolts to the rear cross member .

Two man benches, originally with lap-belts fitted to the rather expensive LR bracketry/pipe beasties that run behind the seats, secured underneath to some hefty fabricated spacers . During the last rebuild I took out the seats and lapbelts and didn't bother putting the belts back, just the seats. Again not a problem withe the MOT. Family discussion was that the belts were more of a pain than they were worth....

vag_landy

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 11:12:32 PM »
Did see a roof and side windows on eBay the other day maybe an idea , cheers for the help time to save up for the bits think it'll probs be around 400 to do .
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

genem

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 11:27:37 PM »
Did see a roof and side windows on eBay the other day maybe an idea , cheers for the help time to save up for the bits think it'll probs be around 400 to do .

If you want the belts/bracketry I still have them. Yours for a token amount of beer vouchers. 

StephenO

• Name: Stephen O'#039#039Rourke
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 11:47:16 PM »
 I got 2 sides with windows off eBay for £25 + £15 P+P each. I got a roof from a scrappy near Johnstone for £40 and a door for £25 so it's all doable quite cheaply. The scrappy still has sides with windows if you want his contact details?

Stephen
2007 Defender Puma Tonga Green
2016 RR Sport Autobiography Corris Grey
2005 Discovery 3 Zambezi Silver
1995 Defender 90 Coniston Green
1968 Series 2A Bronze Green - Project

vag_landy

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 12:53:50 AM »
Very tempting need to phone the insurance after work tomorrow as I'm 23 they can be expensive when it comes to modifications like 35 pounds to declare a snorkel which cost me 85 . I'm not tight but I'm only on apprentice wages and a TD5 is a hungry beast to keep fed and watered.
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

ruaritreble

• ruariboy
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 03:00:26 PM »
Shug is breaking a Series 3
It has 4 fold up seats in the back, all in exceptional condition. Going alot cheaper thananywhere else.
Karis 110 - The perfect way to get a MTB to the top of the hill.
Power to the pedal!

Myrtle Air Portable - V8
------------------------
MM6IIO
------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/ruariboy

http://s826.photobucket.com/home/ruariboy