TD5 Disco Auto remapping - whats involved?

· 16 · 5935

paulmagoo

TD5 Disco Auto remapping - whats involved?
« on: April 12, 2011, 12:59:44 PM »
Waiting to get the decat pipe done and would want to then have a look at removing the flat spots in the TD% auto engine/gearbox.

Really have an issue of paying ?400 for a remap and would really have more fun trying it out myself.

Meanwhile, also grudge ?300 for a nanocom to find out that I need some chargeable extra to make it happen.

Whats involved in this (realise there are risks but all I am looking to do is to remove the flat spots and give a stage 1 remap.)

Probably need to understand how each element of change affects the engine and what elements need changed and what need left alone???

Answers on the back of a tenner to

Paul

rangerovering

Re: TD5 Disco Auto remapping - whats involved?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »
Not quite sure what you mean by "flat spots"? Is the vehicle fully serviced and everything working 100%? No point in touching anything map wise until it is.
Steve

paulmagoo

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 01:11:03 PM »
Hi,  its well known with the Disco auto that if you are coasting along about 50/60mph and need to accelerate hard (to overtake), it just sits there like driving miss daisy.

The forums suggest taking the stall down from 2800rpm to 2200rpm (whatever that means) whcih gives it the oomph when sinking the clug at that speed.

It may well be that the cat, with over 200k on it is full of guff and stopping the engining performing it should be.  Once I get it off I will know better.

BR Paul

rangerovering

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 02:27:55 PM »
Hmm ok understand better what you mean. As before, ensure everything mechanical is OK first (delaminating turbo hoses, blocked intercooler etc). Have you removed the EGR on it? Decat pipe is probably a good idea as you suggest. When was the autobox last serviced? That can make a big difference as it saps power if running old fluid.
Steve

pitcaig

• SLROC Member no.2152
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 02:33:44 PM »
Hi
As yours is a 51 plate it won't have a flashable ECU fitted so will have to be chipped. So your original MAP chip has to be removed and a new one fitted.
Even if it is Flashable a Nanocom can only read and write the MAP files, not alter them.
Try cleaning the pressure and temp sender on the inlet manifold, these get gunked up and give rubbish reading to the ECU.

Cheers
Graeme

paulmagoo

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 04:10:05 PM »
Some good answers.

51 plate but reg in Feb 2002?  Would that make any difference??  Thanks as well for letting me know that the nanocom can only read or write the maps not alter them

AlsoEGR is done, decat to get done and service kit all ready to get done.  Might need a hand hold to get it done myself.

After that, if its as good as my previous 300tdi, I will leave alone.  But I might still want to play  :P

BR Paul

pitcaig

• SLROC Member no.2152
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 04:16:02 PM »
Hi
You will have to check the ECU part number. You might be lucky as 2002 was the change over year.
Check out JEEngineering for remap/chip as they will do a next day mail order service.

http://www.jeengineering.co.uk/discovery-series-ii/disco-2-diesel.html

That is how I got mine done. I have had it remapped for about 4 years now and I'm very happy with it.

Where abouts are you?

Cheers
Graeme
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 04:18:31 PM by pitcaig »

piper5

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 06:17:19 PM »
paul i have a twisted performance chip on mine it can be pugged in to yours for a try if you want sometime, let me know if you get stuck with the service stuff, also have a nanocom if theres any issues, will get those wheels out this week sometime
i have 2 sets to chose from marked set ?50 or nice set ?100, can fit the tyres too

richard

paulmagoo

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 09:10:49 PM »
Ok,  EGR and Decat done... is coming back up to the standard my (egr'd decatted) 300tdi was as well.

Was in a chipped TD5 defender last week (Piper2) and thats rapppppidddd.  Got the bug now so trying to convince myself that I need it    ;)

Way to get some oil for a service on Sat and its all looking good (apart from the three amigos and slight rear oil leak.... but hea ho)

BR Paul

Sooty

• been there winched that
  • Name: mike robertson
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 10:03:23 PM »
give pete @ bell auto services a call, he can remap your ecu by post, i am assuiming that yours will be a msb ecu so to flash it, it needs a board changed internally,

either way he can sort you out,

my dads 110 has a dastek setup which can be purchased through frogs island 4x4/ allmakes,

the twisted one is "alright" but not a patch on the dastek or BAS maps,

if you really want it to go, needs a vnt turbo also available from BAS, not a "cheap" option but it allows a td5 to really dance,

http://youtu.be/VyX5SK51WmU

first car is 4.2 v8 on megasquirt, second car is mine with td5, VNT turbo, remap, same tyres & similar weight,

mmmm dirty diesels 
Started out with nothing,
Still have most of it left

Neil

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 11:26:00 PM »
Hi there.

I have a DASTEK chip for the Disco td5 Auto (2002-4 I think). Removed it from my car prior to trading it in for a Disco 3.

I bought it from GEMM and only used it for about 7-8 months. Makes an absolutely huge difference to the way in which the car drives, producing a huge wave of torque. Especially good for towing or overtakes without cardiac falure half way past ;D

I paid Gemm ?500 for it ( still have the reciept for it too) and would be open to sensible offers if you are interested?

It is a straight forward fit to your car, assuming you dont have oil in the ECU loom which lives in an oil bath under the rocker cover. Mine had this but a new loom part was around ?40ish to replace. Apparently oil in the loom can cause misfires etc.

Give me a call if you are interested 07882162943

rangerovering

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 10:02:19 AM »
Dastek have a place in Inverkeithing, 4 wheel rolling road etc. Maybe worth a call?
Steve

piper5

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 05:05:24 PM »
Dastek have a place in Inverkeithing, 4 wheel rolling road etc. Maybe worth a call?

dastek no more, it now a service centre maybe still help as its the same guy but dastek the chip company went down the tubes a while back

rangerovering

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 05:20:39 PM »

dastek no more, it now a service centre maybe still help as its the same guy but dastek the chip company went down the tubes a while back

Ah right bummer didn't know that. Is the rolling road still there?
Steve

Alarmgard

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 05:30:44 PM »
For info on the Dastek Chips talk to Sooty above he used to work for Dastek before moving to Whitbread Offroad.
Colin Rodger

Marshals needed for CompSafari's give me a call if you can help.
Email:colin.rodger@virgin.net or mobile: 07767726075