TD5 Discovery Starting Problem

· 7 · 6096

Ripped007

TD5 Discovery Starting Problem
« on: September 08, 2014, 10:56:18 PM »
Hi guys. My 52 plate TD5 Disco has started having problems starting. Sometimes it will start ok and once started in runs perfectly and will restart no problem if switched off for a wee while. When it won't start it feels like there is air in the fuel system. Sometimes it will fire immediately then stall and take ages of winding before it starts then it runs fine, at other times it refuses to start immediately and I need to wind it for ages straight away before it starts. During this procedure I can here the tank pump making noises. When it does start it doesn't suddenly all start running, it's as if one by one all the cylinders start to fire until the whole engine runs...... Any ideas?

Bob.

Drum

• Name: John Boath
Re: TD5 Discovery Starting Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 11:23:36 PM »
Might be worth changing the fuel filter located near the rear off side wheel. The o ring can go and it might start sucking air although I would have thought you would get a drip of fuel too. If it won't start, try going through the priming sequence. It involves turning on the ignition for 30 seconds a couple of times and holding down the throttle. Can't remember for sure but google will bring it up no doubt. Or someone with a better memory than me can tell you. :)
John

oilcan

• Name: Raymond Boyd
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 03:50:45 PM »
The purge sequence is as follows. Turn key to position 2 and fully press throttle pedal 4 or 5 times until the MIL light comes on in dash then wait a few minutes until the sequence is complete. Also if you lift the acoustic cover off the engine if you have one fitted and remove the plug that fits in the front left underside of the rocker cover and check if there is any oil. Spray some brake cleaner on it and tap it out onto some clean cloth. If it is oily black then a new injector harness will be needed as the oil is passing along the wires into your ECU. If you now unplug the red plug from the ECU and check for oil there also.

Ripped007

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 05:45:29 PM »
ok I will try those. Thanks.

Ripped007

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 09:32:23 PM »
Ok the starting problem has now turned into a running problem and the tank pump is now being heard to whine it's nuts off so I reckon that the tank pump/sender unit is the problem. Anyone got one??

python

• its not a landrover if it doesn't leak oil.
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 08:06:54 AM »
You get new ones from eBay for under £60. Look up jgs.
my name, JON
disco 200 tdi,
disco 300 tdi
110 v8
3 x freelanders td4
1965 series 2a 109 crewcab.
series 3 on galvy chassis
disco 200 tdi,
disco 3.9 v8 lpg
disco 3,9. no lpg????

amature radio callsign MM6MIS

mikes lr