Engine hoist

· 24 · 4785

Flying scotsman

• Name: Graeme kirkwood
Engine hoist
« on: July 04, 2012, 01:19:52 PM »
Now that I have jumped in and decided to change my engine.
Where can I hire an engine lift, or is someone looking to sell one ? ;)   (cheap)
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

StephenO

• Name: Stephen O'#039#039Rourke
Re: Engine hoist
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 09:15:57 PM »
Graeme

I think Dave borrowed one from Shug, you could always ask?

2007 Defender Puma Tonga Green
2016 RR Sport Autobiography Corris Grey
2005 Discovery 3 Zambezi Silver
1995 Defender 90 Coniston Green
1968 Series 2A Bronze Green - Project

vag_landy

• Name: Greg Leighton
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 10:38:50 PM »
When I needed to replace my clutch I tried hiring a hoist and couldn't off the usual hire companies they said they could no longer hire out due to they were not calibrated . I phoned and asked to buy and got one off speedy for  150 . Worth a punt or you can try luggie bank at the Cumbernauld off road centre I hired one off them when I stayed in Cumbernauld .
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

Flying scotsman

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 03:47:47 PM »
Thanks Stephen,

I don't know shug !!  :'(

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Flying scotsman

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 03:48:56 PM »
When I needed to replace my clutch I tried hiring a hoist and couldn't off the usual hire companies they said they could no longer hire out due to they were not calibrated . I phoned and asked to buy and got one off speedy for  150 . Worth a punt or you can try luggie bank at the Cumbernauld off road centre I hired one off them when I stayed in Cumbernauld .

Thanks Vag

I will give that a try  ;D

DWB

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 07:43:44 PM »
Jbs plant hire in Kirkintilloch. A c ::)ouple of years ago it was 15 quid a day with 4 quid delivery, but its only a couple of mile from me.

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 08:44:01 PM »
When I needed to replace my clutch I tried hiring a hoist and couldn't off the usual hire companies they said they could no longer hire out due to they were not calibrated .

They are still in the HSS catalogue ? £33 for the day, £42 for a weekend.    As usual with these sort of companies the price of a one-off hire means that you are probably better off buying one outright if you plan to use it more than a couple of times. 
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Flying scotsman

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 09:58:33 PM »
Jbs plant hire in Kirkintilloch. A c ::)ouple of years ago it was 15 quid a day with 4 quid delivery, but its only a couple of mile from me.

I work just along the road from them , I will pop in tomorrow and ask.

Cheers ;D  ;D

Flying scotsman

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 10:01:41 PM »
When I needed to replace my clutch I tried hiring a hoist and couldn't off the usual hire companies they said they could no longer hire out due to they were not calibrated .

They are still in the HSS catalogue ? £33 for the day, £42 for a weekend.    As usual with these sort of companies the price of a one-off hire means that you are probably better off buying one outright if you plan to use it more than a couple of times.

I looked at HSS but they are looking for a £200.00 deposit before I even start.
And I am hoping to do this only once.

I will keep watching eBay and gum tree.

Cheers

DRH

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 11:13:17 PM »
Graeme

When are you planning to do it and how long would you need it for

Duncan

ZebraDriver

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 10:26:40 AM »
In the old days when I could be bothered with engine swaps...

3 scaffold poles securely bolted together at the top formed a tripod (bolt holes need to be angled to allow the outer legs to spread either side of the wings). Make sure the bottom won't slide apart  (you can strap the bottom of the legs together if need be).  A 1 tonne chain hoist (currently available off e-bay for £30 with free delivery).

Lift engine, push vehicle back out of the way, lower engine to ground.

Bobs your mothers brother.  And you have got it all for next time..

ZD

knuckles

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 06:55:06 PM »
I bought a  Wolfe 1 tonne engine crane from ebay £134.00 inc the delivery. build it yourself. Better than hiring one I think.

Flying scotsman

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 09:32:44 PM »
Duncan,

I am getting the engine on Saturday, then I want to fit a new clutch and timing belt, then I am taking the tintent to lakes for a few days, so hopefully the second last week in July, as long as its not raining.

Flying scotsman

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 09:35:23 PM »
In the old days when I could be bothered with engine swaps...

3 scaffold poles securely bolted together at the top formed a tripod (bolt holes need to be angled to allow the outer legs to spread either side of the wings). Make sure the bottom won't slide apart  (you can strap the bottom of the legs together if need be).  A 1 tonne chain hoist (currently available off e-bay for £30 with free delivery).

Lift engine, push vehicle back out of the way, lower engine to ground.

Bobs your mothers brother.  And you have got it all for next time..

ZD

ZD I have looked at this option also, but my driveway has a slight slope, so I am going to level it before I start work and then moving it, may not be so easy and I don't fancy pushing it up a hill!!!

Flying scotsman

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 09:39:20 PM »
I bought a  Wolfe 1 tonne engine crane from ebay £134.00 inc the delivery. build it yourself. Better than hiring one I think.

Yeah I have looked at this , but I am not sure about buying one for the one job,

Cheers

Graeme.