Just had my insurance renewal through

· 25 · 3576

Piwi

Just had my insurance renewal through
« on: June 23, 2011, 11:11:25 PM »
I've just received my car insurance renewal through the post from NFU and I'm furious.

I'm a 35 year old driver, with 6 years no claims and having also been with NFU for the past 5 years.

I get my quote in today for a staggering ?54 per month equating to ?650 per year !

Its a 300 tdi defender county with a good few mods.  Now last year I was paying ?33 per month fully comp with full breakdown which i thought wasnt too bad considering all the mods which i declared however to be hit with a hike of ?21 per month is outright theft. I have not  had a chance to phone up NFU to voice my disgust and I pity the poor lad at the other end of the phone when I do however I'll be telling them where to shove it.

In the meantime I am going to give Frank Pickles a ring tomorrow and see what they can do. I'll let you know what happens as i believe a few of us have been interested to see how they fair. I might try reducing the valuation on the landrover dramatically and see if that helps. NFU used to be great but this is just absurd. Hardly living in the Bronx either to justity the totally rediculous !
300 tdi , 3 door discovery
200 tdi 110 utility
300 tdi 90
200 tdi 110 csw
Td5 Discovery
Currently 97 Japanese import 300 tdi Discovery.

Ripped007

Re: Just had my insurance renewal through
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 12:49:14 AM »
Unfortunately you get nothing for customer loyalty these days. I change insurance companies every year which is a bit of a pain but they offer you a new customer discount when you go to a new company. I too used to stay with the same company every year but 7 or 8 years ago i noticed that every year my insurance was jumping up for no reason. I think that it is crap that you have to do this to get a reasonable deal these days.

Vulcano

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 09:17:03 AM »
Hi, Read in the paper the other day most insurance premiums are going to rise by about 30%.
I wonder what the excuses for the rise are this time

kevin18050

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 02:14:05 PM »
mines the same mate my pajero ins  doubled my 90 went up 300 quid ! but shopped around and got them back down to last years more or less i figured that with all the talk of increases staying the same price was more or less a good result ended up with admiral which was a surprise

tio

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 02:50:04 PM »
welcome to the club m8,, bet you feel violated,,,,,,

Piwi

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 11:13:30 PM »
Tio
Violated ?....... I won't tell you what i feel !!!!!
Anyhow a wee update for you. I phoned up NFU and was given a plethera (spelling) of excuses. The first one being that insurance premiums were going up by 40% this year and there was nothing they could do. The next excuse was that as i lived in a rural area and there was a low crime rate I had already benefited from a ?156 4x4 discount ! I'm sorry so youre telling me had I not had the discount my insurance would have in fact been ?796 ??? Beggars belief. She also said that 6 years protected no claims bonus made no difference ( so why are we told by insurance companies that the more no claims you build the lower the premium ..... bollocks !)

The next excuse is an absolute corker ! The lady then turned around to me and said ( now remember this is NFU- NATIONAL FARMERS UNION)  we have reviewed our policy on Landrovers and we no longer consider them to be a rural vehicle !!!!!!!! Can you believe it ? I'm sorry but what the #### is it ! I almost choked on my coffee ! The reasoning was that Landrovers were becoming all too common and you find them just as much in cities as you do in the country. I lost the will to live at this point thinking that the world of insurance had gone completely bonkers. So beware those of you insured with NFU, youre landy is no longer consider a rural vehicle ...... what tosh. Next it'll be tractors.

Any way ..

200 tdi 110 utility
300 tdi 90
200 tdi 110 csw
Td5 Discovery

Piwi

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 11:25:44 PM »
Anyway I phoned Frank Pickles to discover that they are part of Adrian Flux Insurance. Would only insure me up to a max of 5000 miles per annum which wasnt much use for me so I didn't get a quote in the end.

However there is some good news . I phoned Nor County and was pleasantly surprised. They took note of all my mods ,limited mileage of 9000 per annum, ?50 excess, fully comp, (although no cover to drive any other vehicle under third party) for ?217 per year. I added on recovery at ?40, I think the cheapest recovery option was ?20, so total was ?257 per year. Paying by DD so theres some interest to that and it will be no more than ?275 for the year. A very friendly lass on the phone too. So hopefully I'll be going with that.

I'm sorry NFU but I think you've made a pretty poor business decision there.
200 tdi 110 utility
300 tdi 90
200 tdi 110 csw
Td5 Discovery

Piwi

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 11:30:00 PM »
Oh yes.... rant over ! ; ;D
200 tdi 110 utility
300 tdi 90
200 tdi 110 csw
Td5 Discovery

Rural rebel

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 09:08:46 AM »
I just feel that any item you are required by law to have, e.g. motor insurance etc. needs to be far better regulated. It just too easy for insurance companies to trot out the 'uninsured driver pushing up costs' line. The police and DVLA can tell if your vehicle is taxed, MOT'd and insured at the side of the road, nearly all police traffic cars have ANPR which will ping uninsured/taxed/MOT'd vehicles, we're also told that they are seizing hundreds of cars every week, so I'd like to know where this recent huge increase in the number of uninsured drivers are coming from? We keep being told there is no where to hide, so something isn't working, or someone is lying!

I think that age, years of driving, NCB etc no longer have any bearing on your insurance costs, it's just a lottery now. I also fear that as insurance costs spiral out of control, many more people will be tempted to take the chance and not have it, thus the viscious circle continues. I really feel the government need to riegn in the insurance companies, they need to look at the injury compensation companies, surely the compensation culture we have in the country now is pushing up premiums far more than uninsured drivers are. I've had at least 5 text messages in the past month informing me that I'm due nearly ?4000 for the injuries I recived after my recent accident, which (maybe as a result of my injuries :o) I can't seem to recall having......

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 10:42:17 AM »
The other parts of the equation are the prices garages charge for repairs and the way modern vehicles are constructed. The most minor of scrapes is going to be at least ?300 per panel ( We were quoted over ?500 to fill and paint a key-scrape on the Rangie, cheapest we found was ?350 - " Special paint, mate" ) and thats before they decide that some major component needs replaced - the ?1400 + labour steering rack on our van being a good example. The garages themselves have a sure-fire market as soon as they become "Authorised repairers"  - they can just quote a figure and the Insurance coughs up.

Viscious circle indeed - A Legal requirement that you subject yourself to an industry with unregulated pricing at every stage, while we are conned into believing that "competition" will keep prices low.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

tio

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 10:49:57 PM »
Piwi dont keep them details of nor county to yourself post them so we can all get a qoute, well done too i'm glad to see someone managed to thum there nose at these robbing swines ;D

Piwi

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 10:31:24 AM »
 Folks. Phone number for Nor County Insurance is  0845 345 4535   if you would like to try them

Jason
200 tdi 110 utility
300 tdi 90
200 tdi 110 csw
Td5 Discovery

Truckster

• Really must fit A/T's..........
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 08:01:07 PM »
Gosh Piwi, you were cross..lol.. :D.

I had the Goddess insured with NFU and they increased their premium by 100 quid and when i asked them why, they said that insurance premiums had gone up by about 40% and they were one of the first to put them up!! I cancelled the policy!!!! ::)

I think th NFU varies so much in whatever area you live, as ive found my branch fairly helpfull. I still have blue oval and my horse insured  with them.
Mel ( & canine navigators )
109 Station Wagon-'The Goddess'- Sick Chassis...gutted!!
109 Station Wagon-'Firefly'-in need of tlc!!!
109 Ex-mil Rolling Chassis
Mk5 Blue Oval ( Goddess in training!!)

Dave T

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 05:20:25 PM »
Just had my insurance quote through, Admiral wanted ?950 for a Disco 3, Def 90 and a clio.  After looking at go compare the price (from Admiral) came down to ?650.

Having just spoken to them, they were making the price even cheaper and we were down to ?150 for the Clio and ?280 for the D3. However, when I said yes I had a claim, I was parked in a car park and someone reversed into me, they took full responsibility and everything went through their company, but it suddenly makes me a bigger risk  ??? ??? ??? Price now goes up to ?190 and ?380. Sorry, how does that make me a bigger risk  ??? ??? ???

Now trying Nor County as suggested above
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

Piwi

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 08:07:50 PM »
Good luck Dave let me/us know how you get on
Jason.
200 tdi 110 utility
300 tdi 90
200 tdi 110 csw
Td5 Discovery