Bowler tomcat chassis size?

· 23 · 5479

corvettedave

Bowler tomcat chassis size?
« on: February 05, 2011, 11:23:55 PM »
I was thinking about building a tomcat, what chassis sizes would you guys go for??(mixture of events, but more faster stuff)

Opinions please?

cheers

dave

rangerovering

Re: Bowler tomcat chassis size?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 11:50:58 PM »
Not an expert but I would need a good reason to go far from 100". Length gives stability at speed but less agility
Steve

piper5

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 08:29:04 AM »
have a look on the tomcat/bowler site i am sure it explains the lengths on there for each use  short for trailing long for racing but i think 100" is considered the best length, there is also stuff about using 2 front half chassis instead of shortening one, apparently the front suspension has more travel so using 2 fronts welded together makes it better, also makes it easier to mount the engine in the back if you want to go that extreme.

corvettedave

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 12:44:36 PM »
Thanks guys, I will contact tomcat motorsport on monday

cheers

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 01:03:42 PM »
Again, you need to balance your vehicle design against your intended use.

Remember that SLROC is a one-marque club: we are a club of Land Rover Owners, so our primary focus for our events is Land Rover vehicles.

If you are going to enter an SLROC championship event (as opposed to one of the larger Comp Safari events), your vehicle will need to conform to the ALRC regulations... and in particular the vehicles sizes (http://www.alrc.co.uk/new%20regulations/appendix3.htm) and the body-shape rule (which basically states: "The vehicle should have the suspension type as appropriate and ALL bodywork, windows, bumpers etc. as appropriate for the model.")

So, the "best" size for a tomcat-like vehicle at an SLROC event is 88": something that has been made to pretend to be a modified Series 1 land rover.
Technially, you could go for a 107" chassis or a 109" chassis, but its easier to chop 12" out the center of a Range Rover chassis than add 7" or 9" in.

Sooty

• been there winched that
  • Name: mike robertson
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 03:16:32 PM »
could use a D2 chassis & running gear to build a 107 series 1,

makes an effective comp motor
Started out with nothing,
Still have most of it left

corvettedave

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 05:15:04 PM »
Iam going to try and make it tax exempt, which is a important point for me, shouldnt be a major issue

cheers

dave

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 05:34:05 PM »
Iam going to try and make it tax exempt, which is a important point for me, shouldnt be a major issue

cheers

dave

A Bowler that has enough "originality" points to satisfy DVLA will be interesting to see. What bits are you planning to keep ? 

http://www.smurf.toucansurf.com/tax_exemption.htm
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

corvettedave

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 05:49:43 PM »
very interesting read!, maybe need to rethink my great idea!! lol

Pilot Custard

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 06:59:04 AM »
About the only way to make a "new" tax-exempt Bowler-esq vehicle (that complies with ALRC guidelines) is to start with a pre '73 range rover, shorten the chassis, and construct a Series 1 look-a-like body for it.... but you are going to have to keep every single piece of paper to retain proof that the vehicle is still a Range Rover, and still retains 9 "build points" from the original vehicle.
(This does limit a few options for you, however.....)

neils

• Name: Neil Scott
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 05:47:42 PM »
is it worth compomising the outcome for the sake of 250 quid road tax?
88" coil v8 trials motor
S111 Project
62 Willys Wagon (project)  shh keep this quiet!

Pilot Custard

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 05:54:08 PM »
The SVA test is a real pig.
Totally doable, but the paperwork trail for the enginnering works & so forth is humungous.

boghog

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 10:45:27 PM »
is it worth compomising the outcome for the sake of 250 quid road tax?

Six months tax would cover most of the competitive season and SORN for the other six months? Considering some of the vehicles mentioned previously in the thread, I would doubt if the road tax is really a significant consideration other than in principle. Fuel is going to cost more with consumption in single figures!

corvettedave

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 10:10:49 PM »
Update -

After being at drumclog this weekend, has really inspired me to get off my arse build a tomcat, so I can also play in the mud!! lol

Im ordering up a 100 inch chassis and fia rollcage from the tomcat peeps, and I will build everything else after that, try get it built ready for the 2012 season

any tips or help will be very helpfull in the build process

many thanks

dave

Pilot Custard

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 03:49:24 PM »
Come to CCVs and Comps... look at cars.... talk to people.

The chances are that the first build will be wrong in a whole pile of ways - however the only way to find out what works for you is to try it and see what works (and what doesn't)

Petrol or diesel?
Road Legal or not?

100" will mean you can ignore all the ALRC compatible stuff (unless you throw away the tomcat panels and make it look like a Discovery/Range Rover :chuckle: ) - which opens up a slew of options.

I'd start with mostly standard suspension & drive-train, and then tune what you need to tune as you learn the car.