Glenmavis

· 11 · 1810

Jimhunterj4

• Name: James hunter
Glenmavis
« on: January 27, 2013, 07:45:20 PM »
Hi troops,new to the club so thought I would show up today and have a little look at your event in the mrs mini, I have a defender 90 200tdi, b reg and have just about got it on the road, I'm hoping to come along to some of your events this year, do you guys do any light green laning cause I'm a complete amateur and the mrs is too scared of the rough tracks, anyhoo it was good to see you all havin a crack at the course. Ps was there any 200tdi defenders on the course today ? Thanks guys

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Re: Glenmavis
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 08:37:39 PM »
Jim = see the thread in Future Events about our next GRR - March 3rd, Aberfoyle area. Just waiting for the final OK from the landowners.

G.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

StephenO

• Name: Stephen O'#039#039Rourke
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 09:28:58 PM »
Jim,

There was at least couple of 200's there so your vehicle is more than capable but its more about the fun! ;)

Welcome to the forum!
2007 Defender Puma Tonga Green
2016 RR Sport Autobiography Corris Grey
2005 Discovery 3 Zambezi Silver
1995 Defender 90 Coniston Green
1968 Series 2A Bronze Green - Project

Buffalo Bill

• Name: Bill Conner
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 09:34:45 PM »
200tdi. 300tdi, 19j rd, and v8 we don't discriminate  :P

You will be very welcome and I would start with a tyro not a rtv they are alot easier to start you off.

Cheers Bill
1989 110
1990 90
1988 90
1972 V8 WOOP WOOP

Alan Mc

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 09:55:23 PM »
Jim - I'll be at the GRR on 3rd March with my Discovery (and family!).  Your motor will be more than capable and you'll be fine.  If you make the GRR you'll likely end up in a convoy-esque arrangement which will include plenty experience - don't worry.  If you have any specific questions, PM me.

Alan.

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 10:49:06 PM »
Jim - I'll be at the GRR on 3rd March with my Discovery (and family!).  Your motor will be more than capable and you'll be fine.  If you make the GRR you'll likely end up in a convoy-esque arrangement which will include plenty experience - don't worry.  If you have any specific questions, PM me.

Alan.

Convoy ! - Not if I have anything to do with it.  Groups of 4-5 vehicles max, none of the rolling road-blocks seen elsewhere on events I organise Alan....but the point about being with experienced others is well made.   ;D

If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Jimhunterj4

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 05:12:28 AM »
Thanks guys see you all soon

Jimhunterj4

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 05:37:21 PM »
Excuse the ignorance guys but what's a tyro and an rtv, ? And what's the difference between them please

Dave T

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 08:10:50 PM »
They are both courses set out with gates, encompassing tight turns and using the landscape banks and ditches. A tyro is the entry level and can be driven by anyone over 14 with a licenced driver sat with them (I think that is right). The RTV is the next level, a little more challenging, and I think you need a full licence.

Both good fun, maybe start with a tyro, you can soon move to the RTV if you feel it is too easy.
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 11:20:03 PM »
For a general over-view to Cross Country events, have a read of http://www.scottishcarclubs.com/offroad.aspx (its officially called Cross Country, partly to use the same name as the FIA, and partly because "off road" is often associated with those people who go out and cause havoc, bringing our sport into disrepute)

For the rules on Trials (be they Tyro Trials, RTVs, or CCVs) have a read of http://slroc2.co.uk/index.php/events/about-events/the-rules-for-trials

kvz2000

• Name: Donald
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 08:58:06 PM »
Hi Jim,

I too have a 90 with a 200tdi it's a 1989 model , like yourself I have never managed to any events yet but really keen to get to one, my problem is that I stay way down in darkest south Ayrshire and most events are north of Glasgow , probably a 6 hr return journey, however I am starting to trust the reliability of my Landy after a few issues early on .

Best idea for me would be to travel up on the Saturday and either stay with my daughter in East Kilbride or treat my good lady to an overnight in a nice hotel .

All the best with your Landrover , this is a fantastic site everyone so helpful and friendly,

Cheers

Donald