September GRR

· 18 · 4361

yellodisco

• Name: Alan Griffith
September GRR
« on: July 05, 2016, 10:29:26 PM »
Hi All,
starting to give some thought to the GRR at end of September. initial plan had been to head back down to Kielder (or somewhere else close in Northumberland) for a weekend and repeat the successful trip we had last year. Anyone not wanting to camp over for the weekend could join for the Saturday or Sunday runs only.
However, another suggestion has been made - a weekend trip over to Islay. Plan there would be to get ferry across either on Friday or early Saturday, returning on Sunday afternoon - return fare for car and 2 people is £90. We would look to arrange camping on a single site, or members could arrange their own accommodation. We have an offer of access to a little off-roading, and to get the vehicles onto a beach, but if going ahead we could try to get access to more off-roading through some local contacts. Some people may want to stay a little longer to make it worthwhile, and of course we couldn't go to Islay without visiting a distillery or two.
SO, I'd like to get some views from members that are thinking about going on September GRR - would you prefer if we make arrangements to go to Islay or Northumberland? Please let me know your thoughts on these options and once I have preferences I can start to make firmer plans.
Please spread the word about this, thanks,  Alan

Navigator

• Discovery 4 Causeway
  • Name: Stuart Clink
Re: September GRR
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 10:01:24 AM »
Sounds a great idea. Do you have any information to hand on the ferry costs for caravans?
Navigator          GM1VBE

StephenO

• Name: Stephen O'#039#039Rourke
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 09:58:32 PM »
I think ferry details are down to the individual or sort out
2007 Defender Puma Tonga Green
2016 RR Sport Autobiography Corris Grey
2005 Discovery 3 Zambezi Silver
1995 Defender 90 Coniston Green
1968 Series 2A Bronze Green - Project

OldJocksRustbucket

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 07:03:25 PM »
Hi Yellodisco
Islay would be my first choice but would be also happy with Kielder (but not the midges)
I see other members are wondering about the cost of the ferry which you have stated as "return fare for car and 2 people is £90" if there is enough response perhaps the club might get a discount for a block booking, worth a try.

OldJocksRustbucket

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 12:08:26 PM »
Found some costs and timetables for calMac ferry which might help, only valid until 2nd Spetember so there may be a change.
https://www.calmac.co.uk/kennacraig-portellen-portaskaig-islay-ferry-summer-timetable

4X4 / CAR £65 (RETURN EXCLUDES DRIVER)
DRIVER / PASSENGER £13 PER PERSON (RETURN)
CARAVAN / TRAILER  £32.50 UP TO 2.5M LENGTH £65 UP TO 6M LENGTH OR £98 UP TO 8M LENGTH (RETURN)

JOCK

Sam

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 10:56:00 AM »
Hi Alan, I would be vey interested in Islay for 24/25th September. Regards, Sam.

Navigator

• Discovery 4 Causeway
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 04:34:08 PM »
Thanks Jock - but at nearly £200 for the ferry alone it would need to be a huge discount to make this a good deal when a GRR is usually £10.

OldJocksRustbucket

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 10:28:06 PM »
Hi Stuart, aye it's getting a wee bit expensive, never having been to any before I'm not sure of the cost I'm really keen to go but I'm thinking by the time you add the fuel etc might be too much for me, I read the June GRR a Balquider was only £5 which is a bargain, any idea how much Keilder costs,
Jock

Navigator

• Discovery 4 Causeway
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 11:18:21 PM »
Keilder does cost a bit as it is run as a fundraiser for a local charity. 

Smiffy

• Name: John smith
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 07:36:47 PM »
We went to keilder last year and the only cost was fuel and camp site o and the beer in the pub

hunter

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 12:43:46 PM »
Hi Alan,
There is no denying that there is a lot of interest  for the Islay  trip yes this is going to cost and it is short notice to a lot of people who may have already had their holiday BUT there is no reason that this can not be done next year given everyone a chance to save for this trip. I would rather see 20 land rovers next year rather than 6 this year this would be great for the land rover club to take the club to the place where early land rovers were tested Whats your thoughts???? :D

StephenO

• Name: Stephen O'#039#039Rourke
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2016, 08:27:03 PM »
Dependant on dates, why don't we start a list of people interested for this year. This would make more sense rather than wait to see who turns up at the ferry?
2007 Defender Puma Tonga Green
2016 RR Sport Autobiography Corris Grey
2005 Discovery 3 Zambezi Silver
1995 Defender 90 Coniston Green
1968 Series 2A Bronze Green - Project

yellodisco

• Name: Alan Griffith
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 11:22:45 PM »
Thanks for all the responses on forum and Facebook, and apologies for delay in following up - been away.

As it's the Glasgow September weekend holiday, I think that rules out Islay for the September GRR - ferries and accommodation likely to be booked out - so planning to go To Kielder for a rerun of last year's successful trip. Will post up full details soon (once I've confirmed with campsite) but high level plan would be to meet at midday Saturday 24th Sept, do the Kielder forest drive and some greenlanes, camp overnight then do some more lanes on the Sunday. Anyone not wanting to stay over could do either day individually. We found some good lanes last year, and some initial research has turned up a few more in the area for us to explore.
With regard to Islay, as Dave suggests, it may be better to postpone this until next year and to slot a weekend into the 2017 events calendar, giving us plenty of time to plan it out properly, and enable people to arrange time off to make it more worthwhile by going for a long weekend.
More details for Kielder weekend in next few days.
Alan

Chris81

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 11:34:32 AM »
This looks interesting, will wait with interest for the finer details.

As a side point, I joined the facebook group a few months ago to help me follow events and such but it seems to have either unfriended me or been deleted. Is the page still operating?

OldJocksRustbucket

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2016, 06:15:48 PM »
Hunters idea makes good sense you can add my name to the list for the trip to Islay next year depending on the dates etc.
Hopefully I will have the old rustbucket finished and back on the road for Kielder and looking forward to the weekend.
Jock
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 06:20:35 PM by OldJocksRustbucket »