Chassis rebuild. Just need some advice.

· 9 · 3069

Scott110

Chassis rebuild. Just need some advice.
« on: October 20, 2010, 08:12:39 PM »
Started to rebuild a 90. I had sent the chassis away to get galvinised. Im going to run it on Disco1 300tdi axles.

1=The front axle is about to be rebuilt. The bolts that hold the swivel housing to the axle need replaced. I do not like these torque star drive nuts they are a stupid idea being in such a tight area. Can i safly replace these with an equivelnt standard nut?. Im not sure what type of metal i should be looking for when replacing main load bearing nuts and bolts. Are the disco radius arms ok if i space the pollybush kit correctlly to take up the gap on the inner sleave.

2= The engine will be a 200tdi. Can you tell me that if i take the bell housing of a 19j engine and fit that to the 200tdi i will not have any of the missing bolts or drilling of the bellhousing?. I plan to replace the back crankshaft seal fit a new HD clutch kit and replace the front output shaft seal on the gearbox. Is it these seals that usually cause the dripping oil from bellhousing to gearbox join area?. Plan to use OE seals.

3= Rear axle is just being worked on now. Biggest issue is the mount for the disco girly propshafts  ;D. Instead of removing i have a diff from the 90 standard axle can i just slot that in instead save faffing about. Are the disco trailing arms ok to fit on the 90?.

4= Brakes. Useing the whole setup from the disco. Its the single pipe to front calipers version. Solid discs. Should i if it works fit the servo unit and brake master cylinder from the 300tdi and fit in the 90?. Only reason i ask is i prefer a very firm brake pedal and have read spongy brakes can be an issue.

Anything else you think i might need to check just say.
Cheers
1988 Defender 110 300tdi. Bit of an animal.
1998 Defender 90 300tdi. The new pup.

rangerovering

Re: Chassis rebuild. Just need some advice.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 08:34:21 PM »
Hi Scott

On 3) and 4):

If the 90 diff is a 24 spline one then you should be fine to bo it straight in.

The existing 90 master cylinder and servo will work the brakes OK. Not 100% if the disco servo is actually any bigger than the 90 one. Pedal feel can be improved with different pad compounds, try some fast road Ferodos.
Steve

piper5

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 05:31:31 PM »
for you axles you will need two different bush kits a disco one for the axles and defender ones for the chassis probably best buy individual bushes for what you need

i think the engine bolts to the gearbox ok but watch your transfer ratios, it may be a 1;6 ratio should be a 1;4 for a defender

bertie_bas205

• recce-gear
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 08:03:47 PM »
For the rear diff, why dont ye just take off the doughnut flange and fit a 4 stud flange....??

Bertie.
Hector, Arthur, Willie n Buggee...... the boys!!

www.recce-gear.co.uk

bertie_bas205

• recce-gear
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 08:27:29 PM »
There are 2 different sizes (widths) of radius arm, i take it you dont have the disco arms??

Either use 300 TDi disco arms or later 300TDi 110 arms, they're the wider ones...

The rear axle should bolt straight on to you're existing arms, i di a search and the arms come back the same part no...

The brake master cylinders... theres a mass of different part numbers... i would try it and see, it should be fine...

Bertie.
Hector, Arthur, Willie n Buggee...... the boys!!

www.recce-gear.co.uk

Scott110

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 01:41:39 PM »
Cheers for the advice so far chaps.
I am fitting the disco radius arms and trailing arms. The defender pollybush kit internal sleave thats short so i plan to space this to the disco width.
I was unsure if they were an exact match. I did hold them ontop of each other looked exact so here is hoping. Only the width is diffrent from what i see.

Build is slow only got time after work and the wkends. Last few days the power steering box got stripped down and rebuilt with new seals etc. Gave it a good lick of paint and baked it lightly came up looking fantastic.

If you have a good chassis and fancy it being galvinised i can give you the details of the company that done it for me. Incredible cheap price considering they collected and dropped off the chassis at the top of my street on the back of a HGV.

dantheman

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 04:08:42 PM »
whereabouts are you?ive got agood chassis needing blasted and dipped,cheers-dan
land rover daft!!!or just plain daft!!!!!

Scott110

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 12:08:45 AM »
Not sure if im allowed to put up phone numbers but here is their website.
Took 7 days to turnaround.
I paid ?270 thats included the ?80 delivery back and forward to their site.Also included it being shot blasted and the chassis drilled for the process.

http://www.wedge-galv.co.uk/NetBuildPro/process/28/ScottishGalvanizers.html

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
Not sure if im allowed to put up phone numbers but here is their website.

Good opinion and recommendations are welcome..... what we don't want to start happening is commercial advertising (Jock McSmith answering lots of posts saying that McSmith Garage services will fix various problems for very reasonable prices, and they are pure dead brilliant bytheway)