200tdi rocker cover gasket

· 6 · 3323

kvz2000

• Name: Donald
200tdi rocker cover gasket
« on: December 07, 2012, 11:46:35 PM »
Hi guys,

When I bought my landrover 200tdi there was oil leaking from the rocker cover gasket so I removed the cover,cleaned both surfaces put instant gasket on engine part and re-fitted with old gasket, ran for a while but oil still leaking , I tightened the 3 bolts even further but oil still getting out.

Bought new rubber gasket and the two half circular rubber grommets , cleaned everything and re-fitted and didn't over tighten bolts but oil still leaking from just above injectors, tightened bolts again but still leaking.

Really annoying , any advice, should I try new gasket plus instant silicone stuff, or tighten bolts more ?

Anyone know what torque the rocker bolts should be ?  I was told that I would not require instant gasket when fitting?

Cheers

Donald.

DRH

Re: 200tdi rocker cover gasket
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 12:14:53 AM »
Donald
Going back to basics sometimes helps.  Sometimes it doesn't help to keep tightening things  It often pays to look for other things such as blocked breathers that dont let any gasses escape.  If the engine has a bit of wear, pressure builds up inside the engine and needs to escape - if it can't naturally, it seeks any other way out and takes the oil with it. 

Duncan

kvz2000

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 10:05:36 AM »
Thanks DHR,

That's very possible , but I don't like the sound of engine wear !! Is there anything simple that I can look at ?

Cheers

Donald

kvz2000

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 02:51:52 PM »
Hi All,

Just took off the cyclone breather thingy and the aperture from rocker into the breather was almost blocked with oily gunk . I have cleaned as best I could and put back together.

2 questions please, how long do I need to run engine for any pressure to build up in rocker? I did start engine with the cyclone thing off and no oil came out and no pressure from hole in rocker cover.

Also I noted that the plastic pipe that comes from the cyclone away from the engine was not attached to anything just lying in inner wing, I noted that there was a T - piece in the large flexible pipe that come from the K & N air filter and the lose pipe slid into it, I had read that this pipe should go into air intake as that helps draw any pressure away from rocker,  I have connected this but not run vehicle yet.

All comments welcome ,

Thanks

Donald

DRH

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 03:59:49 PM »
Probably what you've cleared out will do the trick.  If your engine was really worn, you would get a lot of back pressure coming out the dipstick tube and the breather that you've just cleaned all the time. 

If you've cleared out the breather and there's not a lot of pressure coming out of it when the engine's running everything's probably fine.  The problem usually is caused by gases accumulating and not being able to escape through the breather causing pressure to build up in the rocker box.

Duncan

kvz2000

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 05:00:21 PM »
Thanks DRH,

After doing all that I took it a run for about 3 miles, when I checked the oil was still running down the head in a couple of places, so I stripped it down again , spent ages cleaning it all and put it back using instant gasket along with the new gasket, will check it again later.

Thanks for the advice , it's such a small problem but the oil makes such a mess and drips on the ground after a run.

Will keep you updated ,

Thanks

Donald