Series 3 gearbox

· 5 · 1839

MERLIN

Series 3 gearbox
« on: October 06, 2010, 07:17:34 PM »
Came off roundabout and lost power, engine still running but when put in gear and brought up clutch...nothing even tried 4 wheel drive thought clutch had gone but then found i could get 4th gear but sounded rough also noticed speedo not working, presume its the gearbox do i need a new one or can the existing one be fixed without taking it out.

Truckster

• Really must fit A/T's..........
Re: Series 3 gearbox
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 07:50:11 PM »
I know this sounds daft and maybe stating the obvious, but have you checked the master cylinder?

Happened to the Goddess-pulling into layby, went to change gear and absolutely nowt. Twas master cylinder.  Just a thought before you rip the gearbox out!! :)
Mel ( & canine navigators )
109 Station Wagon-'The Goddess'- Sick Chassis...gutted!!
109 Station Wagon-'Firefly'-in need of tlc!!!
109 Ex-mil Rolling Chassis
Mk5 Blue Oval ( Goddess in training!!)

MERLIN

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 09:01:30 PM »
will check that out, thanks

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 12:30:27 AM »
will check that out, thanks

I think I'm right in saying that 4th gear is "straight through" the box without touching the sides, whereas the other gears are actually using gears, if you follow me. You've snapped the doohickit ( sorry, past midnight the thesaurus quits) so no lower gears. New gear box or strip and rebuild. Sorry !  :'(
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

seriestwo

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 02:57:54 PM »
It would be cheaper to get a 2nd hand box, but then again you have no idea how long the new one will last. Most gearbox places would be able to rebuild it for you, but I believe that its an expensive exercise.