What coms are used these days?

· 27 · 7001

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Re: What coms are used these days?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 07:22:32 PM »
I think you will find there is no charge for the course, I as a an authorised RSGB instructor do not charge for tuition and the £30 includes the cost of the course booklet.
Strathclyde 4x4 Response offer the course to all its members and if there is any spare slots we open up to others such as Raynet and BRC, if SLROC were interested in getting a course set up then I would be only too happy to help out.

Tommy

Thats a decent offer Tommy. Anyone else interested ? I'd be up for it.

G.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

araon

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 01:34:12 PM »
ok i am lost! i am hopeing to go on the next grr with slroc, so can somebody make it clear do we need cb,s or not if so what type? sorry i have never been on a run before and am looking forward to it so i would like to have the correct equipment with me. 8)

Dave T

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 05:26:04 PM »
You don't need any for a GRR, just a land rover.  ;)
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

araon

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, 05:49:36 PM »
You don't need any for a GRR, just a land rover.  ;)
nice one,that i do have ;D ;D

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 07:48:13 PM »
Just confirming what Dave says , to do a GRR you just need a landrover, the next one will suit any model from a Series 1 to an Evowhatit.

No special kit required, no comms, no 2in lift. no winch, just a packed lunch and maybe a camera. If you have it then bring some basic tools, a tow rope, jump-leads, jack and wheel wrench, the stuff you might carry day to day anyway.     

...I'm trying to work out how to avoid the "convoy" look but its not easy with this route, basically a "Y" shape up a glen. I do have an idea for a bit of scenic tarmac driving to add a bit of interest for those who have been on this run before.

See you all in a weeks time !

Cheers

Gene.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 09:20:34 AM »
To be even clearer.... you don't need comms to do any any SLROC events!

The driving days are a drive about.... usually in small sociable groups, and you can chat in any ways you see fit (leaning on a bonnet, supping a sweet tea is often then best)
Trials have no requirement for comms at all.
Green Road Runs used to use comms, for the leader to talk to the tail-end charlie ("close this gate", "leave that gate open", etc..) - however they are now trying to get away from the "long train" look, and break it up into smaller groups

The only time you need comms is when you are being a radio-marshal at a Rally (be it Gravel, Tarmac..... or Cross Country), and at that point you need the MSA Safety Radio system: "81" as it's called.

Beyond that - if you want to chat to people, use whatever they use :)

elegia

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 02:30:13 PM »
I was just looking at getting a CB myself (for GRRs, driving days and the like). I've seen a nice wee package on the internet (http://www.4x4cb.com/public/item.cfm?itemID=1630) and it comes with a choice of ariel lengths: 34" or 61".

Now, 61" just seems huge to me, and I don't need huge miles of range, nor do I want my landie looking like the Kennedy Space Centre! I do however want to be able to communicate with other users in, what can be hilly or forested areas - does anyone know whether the 34" ariel will be sufficient?

Dave T

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 05:25:08 PM »
That's all I have, from the same place.
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

elegia

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 05:51:21 PM »
That's all I have, from the same place.

Nice one Dave -- that's all I needed to know.  8)

Thanks, Jamie.

R110KSS

• Name: Mark Reid
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2012, 10:54:17 AM »
Just confirming what Dave says , to do a GRR you just need a landrover, the next one will suit any model from a Series 1 to an Evowhatit.

No special kit required, no comms, no 2in lift. no winch, just a packed lunch and maybe a camera. If you have it then bring some basic tools, a tow rope, jump-leads, jack and wheel wrench, the stuff you might carry day to day anyway.     

...I'm trying to work out how to avoid the "convoy" look but its not easy with this route, basically a "Y" shape up a glen. I do have an idea for a bit of scenic tarmac driving to add a bit of interest for those who have been on this run before.

See you all in a weeks time !

Cheers

Gene.

I like the CB coms on car runs as its handy when someone makes a wrong turn or finding out whats blocking the convoy further up the road. Or if you brake down? Not that Landrovers every brake down. Lol 
Find me on Facebook

Maxxed_Ross

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2012, 03:51:57 AM »
I spent quite a bit installing a CB to my last Defender, and the only time it was ever used was to play "I spy" when stuck in a Defender shaped traffic jam moving at 2.1 mph... otherwise known as a Green Road Run

other than that it just sat there occasionally spurting static at me doing not alot
"Lara" - 2001 Defender 110 Tomb Raider Edition

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2012, 06:42:22 AM »
Fortunately, GRRs have moved on since those days...... however the comment on comms still stands: use whatever  your mates are using, and know what frequency they are talking on :)

(Yes, I probably get more use use from my 81 set than my Amateur set these days..... same thing: who are you with and what comms do they have)