jay2578

Where are the gritters?
« on: November 28, 2010, 10:30:23 AM »
Just been out to the village and nothings been gritted! Not that I mind, it meant the roads were empty and i could have a bit of fun, but theres a lot of old people round here who won`t be able to get out!

arrolman

Re: Where are the gritters?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 10:41:19 AM »
Budget cuts and trying to conserve road salt, I work for Glasgow council and we've been told no-one will get called out and we've only to work our normal shifts due to budget cuts, so can see many a claim getting put in this year

Iain

Radarears

• photo bucket
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 10:49:53 AM »
Have not seen any out our way and the roads are deep with the white stuff but watching the lightning before the hail type snow we have is spectacular.

Need to return our grandson today but might just keep him if it carries on like it is. Have to go and dig the snow that fell off he roof which is at the front door and is about  two feet deep >:( >:( >:( >:( and thats before I get to the Disco or should I say "The very large white blob"  :D :D :D :D :D :D   
Discovery td5 "Monte"

And the registered keeper of a Range Rover 4.0 se

tgreer

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 11:30:13 AM »
Arrolman, yeh I noticed... absolute nightmare... Nothings been gritted at all today
1975 Series 3 Land Rover - ex-MOD 109" Hard Top
3.0L V6 Ford Essex

sandman77

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 11:32:36 AM »
Well N. Lanarkshire council must have been up an down my street about a dozen times this morning with both a plough and a gritter.  Cant say it has done much good though, the street is still completely white and snow is getting heavier and heavier.

georgew

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 11:45:29 AM »
Around Forfar & Angus they are working flat out trying to keep the lorries moving.

Mayhem early this morning at the traffic lights in Forfar when they were stuck at red & nobody moved,
tankers & lorries got stuck as the idiots that could drive all just stopped as the snow was building up around them.

Thunder & lightning & a big snow dump.
The temperature is on the rise here now & who knows what it will be like as it freezes again.

The police are next to useless with their vehicles/tyres & hardly any on duty.
Their BMW's saloons are parked up, at least the Hondas & Defenders are moving.

Busses were allowed to keep heading south to the Rangers match, which was crazy.
george
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 12:44:38 PM by georgew »
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

bairnr

• Name: David Russell
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 12:55:25 PM »
We're in Falkirk and have plenty of gritters aroudn our way - the snow plough, with gritter and there has been a tractor snow plough doing the pavements and a low loader following gritting the pavement!

Although it is totally useless as the road and paths are now covered again!

On a positive note I've done a run to Morrisons got milk for my old auntie and managed to pull my idiot of a brother up a hill in his Ford Focus with our 90 - part of me thinks he only did it to get us to pull him out:)
2000 discovery td5
1989 LR Defender 90

jay2578

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 01:21:27 PM »
Should`ve mentioned the plough/gritter i saw this morning.......... it was stuck! ;D :D

jay2578

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 04:03:08 PM »
Just been through to forfar and seen one stuck gritter! The glamis to forfar road is just drivable, but the A928 to dundee is not even visible! Be careful out there folks

sthrifty

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 04:19:35 PM »
Main roads in Renfrewshire good for one lane,side roads great fun can a vectras taction control get tiered ??? If there  is more snow here over night my 4am start lookin dodgy,crew just need to starve :)
1995 300 tdi csw 110
series 3 109 2.25p
ex mil 1986 90 s/t 2.5na
88on galv chassis needs rebuild and more
Disco m reg 2l mpi
[/

tio

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 05:15:42 PM »
Got to agree with sand man  were awash with gritters in lanarkshire,, they have even managed the into the scheme,  not that it's made much of a difference,  ::)

sthrifty

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 05:28:48 PM »
Heavy snow and 24mph wind for here 3am to 6am make for intresting shift
1995 300 tdi csw 110
series 3 109 2.25p
ex mil 1986 90 s/t 2.5na
88on galv chassis needs rebuild and more
Disco m reg 2l mpi
[/

jay2578

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 05:38:54 PM »
Sure will, go easy out there mate

Black Sheep

• "should have bought a 90"
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 05:55:09 PM »
Took me 3 hours to go from Livi to Edinburgh and back this morning on the M8 and city bypass. Conditions were shocking but the biggest problem was caused by other drivers who insisted on going up the fast lane although it had'nt been ploughed. This was predominatly mercs, saabs and white van man who eventually got stuck leading to me being stuck on the city bypass grrrrr  >:(
Friggin idiots and what is it with mercs and their inabilty to handle snow!?!

Dave T

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 06:20:54 PM »
It really depends on your postcode I think, roads are pretty much clear in newton mearns, including our cul de sac, and even along the M8 until you turn to the Erskine bridge, all lanes, including hard shoulder, clear pretty much all the way, soon as you cross the bridge and head towards Dumbarton even 1 lane is a bit dodgy. Still the Christmas trees in the windows in Dumbarton add a laugh!  ??? ???
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite