secondary tank

· 14 · 1916

valerie

secondary tank
« on: November 25, 2011, 03:34:48 PM »
i could be interested in a small tank and taps to allow for diesel   start and the main tank pure veggie oil

geoff

Re: secondary tank
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 03:57:32 PM »
You could use an outboard engine tank as a start / flush tank

geoff

Graeme

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 04:27:04 PM »
what happens to the surplus diesel/veg oil   that is pumped back to the tank      or do landies not have injector leak of pipes that return to tank

diesel jock

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 10:33:47 PM »
Done the twin tank setup on jcb fastracs at work one tank for red and one for white diesel,we fitted 2 time delay valves into the lines to allow red to return to its own tank during changeover so as not to contaminate white tank,the tricky part is calculating the time taken to purge the fuel system we worked it out on fuel filter volume,ie feed return line into measuring jug swap over tanks work out time to fill until you see the white running through,work out how much filters hold then calculate the time using the time taken to fill the jug then add a bit extra time to allow for fuel in the lines.
Hope you find this useful
Stewart

coolcamper55

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 11:13:44 PM »
Could you type that slowly so I can take it in ;) ;)

Graeme

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 01:26:35 AM »
what a lot of flaffing about and for what benifit      the duty element is recovorable if you have a business

ally-74

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 04:19:56 PM »
I have a secondary tank it was fitted to my v8 disco for petrol but pretty sure you could put a diesel sender unit in it holds around 25 litres of fuel. Yours for ?50 based in dumbarton.

Alex

geoff

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 08:06:37 PM »
the duty element is recovorable if you have a business

and if you don't??

It's a good idea!

diesel jock

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 10:05:32 PM »
The reason we used this setup was because thats what the customer specified red for agricultural use and white when doing road work although not strictly legal they thought it was a way of getting round using a tractor for road haulage if you get pulled flip a switch and change to white.

valerie

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 10:17:50 PM »
Alex I would be interered if it fitted out of the way better than a jerry can which is currant plan, cost is always a major consideration

ally-74

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 10:58:53 PM »
Valerie when it was fitted to my disco there were 2 brackets made out of angle iron welded onto the chassis rails and the tank bolted to them. I would imagine it could be mounted just about anywhere as its not that big. I'm not at home just now but can get a pic of it for you.
It's a proper tank for conversions not a homemade effort.

Alex.

Graeme

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 09:56:01 AM »
diesel jock     with a twin tank set up the police and custtoms come down harder on you      especially if the change over switch is inside the cab      as i said if you have a business you can claim the vat and duty back         geoff  if you cant claim it back you are reggarded as a cash cow by the goverment        anyway  as i said before engine oil does not have duty paid and is used to mask that red diesel or kero is being used        further on the tanks once fitted will it comply with the construction and use regulations  will it be covered by your insurance if you dont tell them then involved in an accident and your insurance is nill and void you are commiting an offence    sorry to be so negative just looking at all aspects

diesel jock

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 01:35:16 PM »
I see your point graeme I was only giving my point purely from putting the system together we knew the regs when we fitted the other systems but thats what the customer wanted so thats what they got,they obviously thought they could get round the law by doing this but vosa said either white or red not both.
Cheers
Stewart

Graeme

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 02:45:37 PM »
just a point of interest on the diesel subject all these cranes you see on the motorways  are aLL  RUNNING ON RED they were supposed to run on duty paid fuel but hey they lobbied the goverment  there excusses were it would get stollen if they had large storage tanks of white the cranes would get targeted for syfonning and there cranes could block the fuel stations and cause damage to the forecourts and yards also canopys  THEY WON THERE POINT