Adzthestig

• Name: Adam Pearce
My clutch is going!
« on: September 30, 2013, 09:46:59 AM »
My clutch is going :( how easy is it to do yourself? It's a manual 2.5td

Dave T

Re: My clutch is going!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 04:41:46 PM »
Very, as long as you have a few bits to hand, an engine crane being the most useful. I have been led to believe you even need that though. I removed the. Seat box to give full access and did over a weekend, mailorder4x4 was the cheapest I found for a good quality clutch with great service.
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

lreay

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 05:26:20 PM »
I recently did one on a 300tdi/r380 defender, I had previosly done it by dropping the gearbox/transfer box to the ground using an engine crane. But the last time I did it I just removed the gearstick housings to give engough clearance and slid the geabox back using a trolly jack and some wooden blocks untill the bell housing fouled the bulkhead. This gave me enough room to do the clutch and redo the rear engine seal.

Cheers
Luke

stage recovery

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 05:41:42 PM »
If yours is a Turbo Diesel with LT77 box, leave the box in place and lift the engine forward enough to access the clutch,take off hoses, exhaust, engine mountings etc and with the engine still suspended from crane or beam there is more than enough room to change the clutch, I would also fit a reinforced release arm when you are there.

sj72blair

• Name: Steven Blair
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 11:11:35 PM »
Hi,
    best thing is to see if you can get a shot of a ramp, the gearbox and transfer box of a p38 is probably 5 times heavier than a getrag box from a manta! The size and weight of the box means you also need a descent transmission jack unless you take the transfer box off first and then remove the main gearbox. Not a difficult job if it's on a ramp, just big and heavy, an extra pair of hands wouldn't go a miss either.

Changing the subject a bit, how's the Manta coming along? Hopefully all going back together ok.
I'm still sorting through some old pics of  my old "ADZ", I'm recovering them from the negatives but quite a few are missing. I'll pass some on but you can read the bit on the Manta club forum about the car.

All the best,
                 Stevie.

Adzthestig

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 08:52:14 AM »
This all sounds out of my hands :( I don't have a shed! Ether I can rope my landrover mate in to help or get my manta friendly mot man! He is a legend!!

All I'm waiting on is a axle :) it's in sky well 3 are I will be pickin them up with the rangey and maybe another Honda quad lol in a trailer

Sandy M

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 12:35:45 AM »
probably 5 times heavier than a getrag box from a manta!

Oooooh I came over all funny   :-[  when someone said Manta,  my C plate GT/E was the best car I ever had,  7 years, 100,000 miles and hardly nowt went wrong.  Still kick mesel for  trading it in for a 318is Beemer.

Adzthestig

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 11:16:10 AM »
Mine is a c reg :) this is her st the start of the year with my old mk3 hilux