series 3 problems

· 21 · 4278

Willie-Scott

series 3 problems
« on: June 09, 2013, 09:41:57 PM »
Got myself a series 3 to tinker about with as a project , couple of questions if anyone can help please

Clutch pedal down to floor and wont come back up without pulling it up by hand , is it definately the clutch gone or could it be a slave cylinder fault or needing bleed ?

It had been lying about for quite a while i believe , i got it started but it wont turn of at the ignition , is this a starter solenoid fault ?

Thanks in advance for any help folks  :'(

shug

• Name: Hugh Kay
Re: series 3 problems
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 12:09:11 AM »
the clutch problem could be master cylinder or pedal swivel pin seizure, take off master cylinder to see if pedal works ok . you can buy a seal kit or a new cylinder to fix it , I would rebuild slave cylinder at same time . if its been lying a long time clutch plates might be seized also.
you don't say if its petrol or diesel , if its a diesel it might have a pull cable [strangler] to stop engine looks like a choke cable next to ign key.
hope this helps shug...   

Willie-Scott

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 10:44:17 AM »
Shug yeah it's a diesel.

If the clutch plates where seized is it the gearbox out to rectify it job ?

prof-pat-pending

• Name: nick
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 01:24:20 PM »
Shug yeah it's a diesel.

If the clutch plates where seized is it the gearbox out to rectify it job ?
if you are lucky you can force it free - find some where to drive it - start in gear and drive about for a bit with clutch pedal down - keep blipping the throttle and drive as jerky as pos
if you are lucky the clutch will free itself  ;D
if not the clutch plate will not and/or fall appart  >:(
agree with shug - the knob next the ignition switch is the strangler and is used to stop it -
life is but a journey from birth to death - why rush ?
run a series landie and take your time
http://cumbriaclassiclandrovers.createaforum.com/index.php

Willie-Scott

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 03:37:41 PM »
Thanks for the info guys ill get checking things on it tomorrow

the knob next the ignition switch is the strangler and is used to stop it - there isnt a knob there  :-[ although ive seen the cable in the engine bay i cant source to where it actually feeds into the dash  :'(

lurch032003

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 10:22:05 PM »

Thanks for the info guys ill get checking things on it tomorrow

the knob next the ignition switch is the strangler and is used to stop it - there isnt a knob there  :-[ although ive seen the cable in the engine bay i cant source to where it actually feeds into the dash  :'(

The cable should run to your ignition barrel and at the side attached to the ignition should be assuming its broke a place where it would go through and the cut off knob would be attached , going by what you have said its been broke off or disconnected  so how do you stop it as you didn't say ? You may need to get a new cut off cable you can try paddocks or 4x4 or other good landrover supplier

Willie-Scott

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 09:27:27 AM »
I can get access to the cable from the engine bay but can't see we're its going through into the dashboard area  :'(

lurch032003

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 03:40:20 PM »
Hi the cable on mine travels through with the wiring behind the dash and feeds to the left if the steering wheel , then is fed through the ignition part which has a selerate part attached to fed the kill cable through which then would have the knob attached , a new cable gets fed from the cab through to engine bay I hope this helps.

Willie-Scott

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 07:28:26 PM »
Many thanks John

Willie-Scott

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 02:35:48 PM »
I've changed both the slave and master clutch cylinders today , bled it and although the pedal seems abit stiffer and is now coming back up slightly , it's still not going into gear , have I missed something here guys ?

prof-pat-pending

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 04:08:31 PM »
the clutch plate will be stuck onto the flywheel  :(
go back to my earlier post for a method of curing it  ;)

Willie-Scott

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 07:40:13 PM »
Nick I can't get it into gear though  :'(

Big Rich

• Name: Richard Baird
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 07:46:03 PM »
A technique I've used before is to put the transfer box in neutral, put the main box in gear and then start her up.  Then its just a case of putting the transfer box into gear and it jerked the clutch free.  It did work as its still running on the same clutch but I presume the opposite could happen and you wreck the clutch.

Rich

prof-pat-pending

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 11:21:46 PM »
Nick I can't get it into gear though  :'(
start it and warm it up..........
turn off...
put it into gear and then start it - hold on tight and away you go  ;D

lurch032003

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 12:15:22 AM »
where are you in the country willie as someone or even myself could pop in for a cuppa and help look see if they can assist you or you can come see mine if that would help and grab when im not looking spair parts lol ie choke cable i think i have
john