Land Rover Santana

· 12 · 6776

3 coops

• RRC HCPU/ Disco 200TDI/Ser2SWB/RiceHorseBox
Land Rover Santana
« on: March 12, 2013, 10:38:41 PM »
Does anyone have any experience of Santana Land Rovers, reliability, parts avalibility, capability etc?

Many thanks

coop
VERY FOND OF WEISSBIER

piper5

Re: Land Rover Santana
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 07:43:08 AM »
i looked at buying one recently ex hydro, iwas put off by parts availability  as santana are now out of business, however a santana 110 style was nearly half the cash of a landrover, they apparently dont share many bits these days.

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 09:39:43 AM »
Its an Iveco engine If I recall so that should be OK to source but other parts may be hard to find unless someone knows different ? Santana never had a huge dealer network in the UK anyway....  On the plus side the two people I know who use them are very posutive about them - sensible stuff like haveing a rear door large enough to get a proper pallet inside...
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

diesel jock

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 10:09:07 AM »
The santana ps110 became the iveco massif which i think is still being made dont think for the uk though worth a look on tinternet they still have leafs on them but the + is theres more elbow room in the cab

lexi

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 10:24:21 AM »

A mate who is a Landy man bought one for around 11k. Ran for a year no probs and then got an offer of the same amount he paid.  He grabbed it before the depreciation set in and put the money back into another Defender.

All said, the DEF is overpriced but it holds more cash.

genem

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 10:52:29 AM »
The santana ps110 became the iveco massif which i think is still being made dont think for the uk though

The Massif was an Iveco badged version of the Santana PS10, both made on the same line in Spain. Massif was never available in the UK.  The factory closed down several years ago as sales were not up to snuff. Final year of production they made less than 800 vehicles.  Says something about the durability of the LR brand that people would continue to buy a vehicle thats was significantly more expensive and arguabley less well designed while the cheaper alternative went to the wall.     

hxk494

• Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 04:30:09 PM »
we've had one at work from new (07 plate) - only done about 20K miles and really showing signs of wear and tear.

Engine great but have had issues with gearbox, front hubs, rear springs (sagging really badly), paintwork (cappings rusting badly), speedo (cable issues - unresolved). The list goes on.... Originally it went back to the dealer in Perth for work other than services, more recently it has gone to Philips in Broxburn for engine/tacho work or has sat in our workshop for weeks on end waiting for parts to come from god knows where!

Our two landrovers (Y reg 90 and an 06 plate 110) and a 05 plate Ford Ranger are all doing fine in comparison.

A poor purchasing decision made by people who don't have to use/maintain them - just looking at cost when replacing a 12 seater 110.

SJF

• Name: Stuart Ford
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 08:18:26 PM »
I work on alot of coal sites and they buy alot of defenders for site only work but as we all no there are funny money these days so they started buying mot failure discos and using them these vehicles have been on sites for years and by no means have a easy life there thrashed by 20 different drivers but do the job. I have seen one Santana they got and when it made it out the work shop I don't think it ever done a full days work without getting work done day in day out so it got flatended and scrapped that solved the problem lol
But maby if there looked after they may be ok but from what a seen I personally wouldn't have one but almost had a 110 4 door because how cheap it was

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 04:37:57 PM »
If the body is better designed and has more room inside would it be possible to fit the body onto a Series or Defender chassis, is it a drop on fit? What LR is it based on?
She said at my age I need something else to play with

3 coops

• RRC HCPU/ Disco 200TDI/Ser2SWB/RiceHorseBox
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 05:23:51 PM »
I am told the body is steel not ally, also that there is more elbow room as the steering wheel and pedals have been moved inboard 100mm.

Not sure about the chassis.

Do like the idea of a one tonne payload and being able to get a euro pallet in.
VERY FOND OF WEISSBIER

genem

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 06:49:24 PM »
If the body is better designed and has more room inside would it be possible to fit the body onto a Series or Defender chassis, is it a drop on fit? What LR is it based on?

Interesting idea. The chassis is probably quite a bit different to LR - Santana stuck with leafs when LR went to coils. Nothing is beyond a skilled engineer tho !

ffourphantomfixer

• Name: Andrew Forrest
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 07:07:28 PM »
Followed one today on the way back from aberdeen, I have to say now that I know what it is I like the lights, both front and rear.
It does look like it will take a full size pallet (longways) thru the back door, euro pallets are a good bit smaller and fit in my disco no problem.
She said at my age I need something else to play with