Replacing a Defender windscreen

· 11 · 6999

Maxxed_Ross

Replacing a Defender windscreen
« on: April 21, 2012, 05:07:48 AM »
Right lads, I've got a problem

Discovered a couple of small chips on my windscreen last time I was washing the Defender, one on the drivers side was a slight crack so I called out the Autoglass people to fill them in (I was most dissapointed when he wasn't called Gavin...) but apparently they are too close to the edge of the screen. The one with the crack is about 40mm from the edge of the rubber.

So anyway apparently I need new glass  ::)

I've been trying for months to find somewhere selling a heated screen as I was planning on upgrading it anyway - but so far I've not had any luck... do you think I could claim a heated screen for the replacement as I'm having to fork out my insuarance excess to get it replaced anyway?

And assuming I pull that off, would the screen work fine if I just wired it into the circuit for the heated rear screen? With mine being a double cab the wiring isn't used and I would just need to buy the switch and relay

any help appreciated!  ;)
"Lara" - 2001 Defender 110 Tomb Raider Edition

Dave T

Re: Replacing a Defender windscreen
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 06:42:11 AM »
There was someone else on here a few weeks ago tried that with a D3, they wouldn't go for it, has to be like for like, although the worst they can do is say no. Maybe try offering the difference. Just be aware, if they won't, it only costs £49 to buy a standard screen, about £12 for a seal and an hour or two to fit, what is your excess?

Have a look here for ratings, it may help
http://www.mobilecentre.co.uk/land-rover-defender-heated-front-screen-fitting-kit-complete-with-oem-switch-p-694.html
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 06:44:52 AM by Dave T »
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

Maxxed_Ross

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 06:23:35 PM »
thanks for the replies guys, my excess is £70 so probably not woth the hassle of doing it myself. Handy to know incase they try to charge me more!

stage recovery

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 11:17:59 PM »
Hi Ross, I previously had my 110 XS heated windscreen replaced by Autoglass under my glass insurance, 51 weeks later I called them to say that 2 lines of heating element were not working, NO PROBLEM! an hour later it was replaced for free under warranty.I can only recommend you give them a call, you may have to pay the difference but having the heated screen is a huge bonus in winter, 2 minutes and the frost can be wiped away.

Maxxed_Ross

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 06:42:01 AM »
thanks, I'll try them when I get back onshore again

the de-frosting is only one of the things I thing will be handy, I've found mine steams up really quickly if you get it it wet - quite alot in Scotland!

georgew

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 07:04:11 AM »
Best get that Fog-X applied inside. ;)

george

ps
will you be at Crail Sunday?
'Revo Technik' day.
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

Maxxed_Ross

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 08:12:07 PM »
Tried the Rain X stuff and it was a total waste of time

Offshore at the moment so I won't be. Crail is too overpriced for me these days anyway

georgew

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 08:44:23 PM »
Rain X outside
& Fog X inside has done me good service for years, but i apply it twice.

Have fun.
george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

robertspark

• Name: Rob
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 08:52:56 PM »
Hello,

I bought one from these guys a few years ago, think the cost was £145 tinted in VAT (but it was about 6 years ago) thin they will make a heated windscreen for anything given the right profile.

http://www.uroglas.com/

Put it in myself (use a rope in the groove) and pull the rope out as you feed the rubber in, suggest you get / use a new rubber if yours is a few years old as they perish + leak over time, no adhesive required with defender type screens, very simple to fit would do it again any time, work slowly and you will be fine.

Maxxed_Ross

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 06:19:22 PM »
thanks for the link, I'll keep that in mind if Autoglass won't play