TD5 Oil Leak

· 7 · 7459

Matt77

TD5 Oil Leak
« on: March 05, 2011, 12:38:08 PM »
Hi all, my defender td5 has an oil leak that I am struggling to find, levels not dropping much, but making a right mess of the street so got it get it sorted. Going to have a good investigation this afternoon but any experience with problem areas would be of help for areas to look at. Forgot to say its done 75,000 miles on an 06 plate if that helps. Off to borrow an inspection pit in Aberdeen this weekend so hopefully will find the source and be a quick/cheap fix.

Thanks in Advance Matt.

DRH

Re: TD5 Oil Leak
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 12:46:00 PM »
Matt

I've got a Disco 2 and it leaks oilo over the drive.  I've mananged to trace it to the plate on the end of the steering box where the pipe goes in.  I could see the oil weeping at this plate and thought I would tighten the pipe, but when I tried, the end plate started turning.  There are no leans anywhere alse on the stweering box that are running forward

I cleaned it up with brake cleaner and dried it off, and within a couple of days it started weeping again.  The engine is bone dry

Hope this helps

Duncan

Ginger_TD5

• Name: Gordon McNair
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 01:42:47 PM »
Hi Matt,

I had an oil leak in my Defender TD5, or so I thought. The leak was not a lot but enough in the driveway when the car was sitting overnight for me to get grief!!!

The guy in the garage told me that the leak was diesel and not oil as there is an inherit problem with a diafram at the back of the engine and after a while the diafram does not function properly and leaks diesel when the engine is off, the repair was less than ?100 all in and I have had no problems since. My defender is an 02 plate with 104,000 miles.

I hope this helps or might give you another bit to look at.

Gordon

geoffg

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 02:02:53 PM »
Check the oil filter(not the centrifugal one) is screwed on tight.
Geoff

Matt77

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 10:22:03 PM »
Thanks for the responses. Had a look today and nothing apparent have cleaned as much oil off as possible and will take another look tomorrow to see if any thing apparent. There was some oil around the gasket cover so might be the culprit. Fuel is maybe a good call as there is a slight diesel smell, thought that was just normal but might be a sign of something.

Thanks Matt.

rodspink

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 07:26:51 PM »
Hi Peeps.

Had the same problem with what looked like oil dripping from the bottom of engine/gearbox with a slight whiff of diesel fumes. What it was was the fuel pressure regulator. It enters the engine on the drivers side rear. follow the fuel lines and you will find it. Have look with a torch when the vehicle is running and see if its coming form there. Its a very common problem so much so you can buy a new one and it will leak too. Easy change other than the awkward bolt to get to on the back.
Good luck

Rod

Matt77

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 02:40:59 PM »
Problem solved me thinks. Spot on Rod, diesel was coming out of the fuel reg. Put a new one on today, easy enough job with the exception of that 3rd bolt. Too big hands and no patience. So hopefully that will be that. Thanks for everyones help.

Matt.