Car shows?

· 37 · 6767

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
Re: Car shows?
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2013, 04:43:39 PM »
Some events only need an organiser to set them up and a small amount of help "on the day" to run. GRR would fit that category, attendence at shows too probably.
One could get quite carried away at car shows: the likes of Biggar, which is basically a lot of static cars on show, then one gets a few victims volunteers together, park the cars up in a group.... and then chew the cud; browse; amble; and generally sit back, relax, and drink coffee (lots of coffee, from recent experience)
One can up the anti, and put up a gazzebo: get fliers made, and have some club membership forms, a few spare issues of the club mag, and spread out a display to entice new members

For the more "selling" sort of show (like Knockhill or Lanark), then get a DVD made up showing all the things the club does and take a telly & show the DVD...

but in principle - I'd reckon there's even less paperwork for car shows than for the stuff you put on through the MoD or the Forestry Commission!

lurch032003

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2013, 08:55:48 PM »
Hi I would be interested in alot of things but currently I have some leg operations to get through first but will be most happy to attend events or even help man ones when required ,

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2013, 09:59:38 PM »
That's the spirit !
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Big Rich

• Name: Richard Baird
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2013, 08:26:29 PM »
I took my series 3 to the classic car show at Bridge of Allan this year.  Total turn out of Landies was 1 series 3, 1 2a and a range rover classic

If you don't mind me asking - why did you go? - Was it a self-organised thing or a group of you?
Would being part of a bigger group been better or make it easier... or worse?

Do you plan to go to any more? Would you be more likely to go is someone else did all the organising and got a space together?

I went myself because I have am into my cars, always have been and thought why not take the landy as its a classic car and I was quite proud of how it looked after its refurb and wanted to show it off.  I was a bit worried about at the time about classic car snobs 'its only an old land rover its not a real classic' but there was none of that.  I did find that a lot of people did stop to talk about it and it was nice just to meet similar minded folk (saddos?) and talk about old cars. 

Dave T

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2013, 07:13:47 AM »
There are a few of us that frequent here and disco3.co.uk that do pub meets, every 6 weeks, all landies welcome, next one is Monday 9th September at the black bear beefeater at uddingston (m73/m74 junction) at 7.

We have just started alternating between here and the Livingston beefeater.

Over on Disco3/4 we run a forum get together, usually every 6 weeks or so for a shandy and a chat, (mainly about Landys).

The next SCAM is on Monday 9th September 2013 at 7ish and is

Beefeater Black Bear

601 Hamilton Road,

Uddingston,

Glasgow,

G71 7SA

which is pretty much at the M73/M74 junction, hope to see you all there

We will be alternating meetings between here and Livingston

Any landy owner welcome
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

Malc

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2013, 08:33:09 PM »

I have a '72 lightweight that I would love to take to a show. Also, just as a thought, what about an unofficial or friendly concourse event? It could be a yearly event in its own right or as a wee competition as part of another event. There must be loads of owners out there that don't actually want to off road for whatever reason. To encourage everyone to enter rather than just the dedicated polishers, you could have different categories such as "Scruffiest, but still with an MOT" through "Turned up on a trailer" to the "You're not actually going to drive that heap home are you?" award. Or best DIY paint job. Best welding work etc.

I'm thinking some different categories as well as the traditional awards would sum up what it is to own a landy? If it became a regular yearly thing, then to stop the same person winning it every year you could make the winner the judge for the following year.
Disco 300tdi
Defender 90 V8

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2013, 10:31:42 PM »
Good idea. S2 Club had a "Least likely to make it home" award !

Probably a close contest between Bill and Paddy :-)
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....