STOLEN LANDROVER

· 39 · 6864

Graeme

Re: STOLEN LANDROVER
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2011, 09:26:55 PM »
not ill concidered at all allan      landrovers have always been an easy target even for parting out          so far in scotland we have been saved from the light fingered enthusiast steeling the doors and bonnets of newish 90 and 110 without the alarms being set off (a design fault) as i said before i am also a victim and it is not nice that sick fealing you get when you are struck with the reality that what you have worked for and paid for is gone just to feed some dicks habit or give him beer money  you never get over that dislike of the light fingered brigade and the seaming inability of the police to curtail them and the courts to punish them

DRH

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2011, 11:55:31 PM »
Graeme

I think the point here is that Mel took the precautions he felt was necessary having lived in an area for the time he has, and hasn't up till now had to think much about security (much in the same way most of don't think much about the security we need in our own homes until it actually happens to us).

It's the same old story, we all assess the risk of things happening to us a million times a day, but it's only when something happens to us that we generally tend to re-assess the risk and take preventative action.

Got to ask the question - before and after the same happened to you as happened to Mel did you think you were blind or niaeve or would have welcomed someone telling you so when you were at your lowest.  I've only met Mel once last year when he was giving away spares to fellow club members to help them out, and when I was there wouldn't have thought that it was somewhere I wouldn't have lived as it looked like a hotbed of crime - give the guy a bit of moral support rather than inflicting a liberal dose of 20/20 personal hindsight.  It sounds as thought you are more annoyed with yourself than anything else.

Duncan

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2011, 12:10:46 AM »
What gets me is that these b@st@rds must be part of a landrover "scene" somewhere, either ringing the vehicle against a scrapper and selling it on or breaking it for the parts. I try to be careful to buy bits from "known" sources - but something off ebay from 200 miles away ? These people are, I think, worse than the neds who steal a vehicle to rag it about and crash it - they've actually thought about what they are planning to do.

Chin up Mel and I hope the Insurance cough enough to replace it with something good.  

Edited to add... I've taken the liberty of posting the details, minus phone no, on a couple of other forums. The more people watching the better ?  
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 12:27:32 AM by genem »
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Graeme

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2011, 12:35:51 AM »
duncan i can understand  your support of mel    the equipment that was stollen from me had been alround central scotland from the east to the west and up north as well  it was secured as well as it could be just like mel you do not think it can happen but being well aware it can      short of sleeping in the vehicle or having a tracker fitted to it if they want it they will have it ( have you all forgotten about the guy in larkhall)  in my particular case the goods were taken in a transit van which would have been well overloaded
i have lived in this area for 47 years  last year it was heating oil that was being stollen even from housing estates land rovers well ask alex lindsey how many he has lost  back in the days of rs 2000 armadale and surounding areas were the centre for them being stollen
the same people were into slates before that
so not anoyed with myself at all  i was lucky i got full compensation for the goods stollen i know what like the area is and has been and on that information is what i posted on
i only have the one face unlike others that have more faces than the town clock

genem

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2011, 12:55:38 AM »
..... and a Happy Christmas to you too Graeme.

mel

• Name: Patrick McInally
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2011, 11:55:36 AM »
bump

Maxxed_Ross

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2011, 05:56:03 PM »
I thought I stayed in a nice quiet area too, until all my spot lights went missing off of my mini one night.

I have to agree that even a basic alarm is a must on defenders these days. I locked my keys in my old 90 once and managed to get them back in under 10th minutes with nothing more than a few bits of wood I found lying around the carpark without causing any damage at all... I dread to think how easily a pro could be away with one!
"Lara" - 2001 Defender 110 Tomb Raider Edition

mel

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2012, 02:37:12 PM »
Hi all  no sign of my beloved vehicle, so now time to battle for insurance money with insurance company who
have allready set that seed that they will not pay out what the agreed value was when you renew your insurance,
and they took your money without all the questions they now are asking.

here we go then,

PADDY

allen

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2012, 02:57:11 PM »
when mine was taken a few years ago in bathgate they offered ?500 i just hung the phone up on them they called back i told them just to get me a landy same age and same amount of mot and i would be happy they then settled at ?2200 they are chancers quick to take our money not so quick to pay it back  :'( good luck dont let them beat you up

cooltshirt

• savethegaywhale.com
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2012, 03:42:49 PM »
When mine went it was insured with chaucer via adrian flux.
I would say it was a satisfactory experience ......... no forms, just well conducted recorded phone calls. They accepted receipts of parts from paddock etc in support of the value (it was a 1983 vehicle so receipts and photos helped define the value) and they paid for the recovery of the vehicle to a scrapyard ............. it was burnt out at the bottom of a bing so not the easiest recovery. That alone was approx ?600 ........ and in law the recovery is the owners responsibility even if it's been nicked and abandoned!
I had the ?? within a month and their first offer was in the right area and I accepted their second offer.
Many companies now are disposed to sort things out quickly as most people (me included) will accept a prompt adequate offer rather than both sides digging in with the prospect of legal fees for what may very probably be only a modest increase in the payout.

Best of luck with it all.
1983 110 V8. RIP

genem

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2012, 01:50:10 PM »
When our 110 CSW was nicked a few years back NFU originally offered the value of a hard-worked farm 110 hard-top. Photos of a well maintained 110 9 seater and a letter from the local dealer confirming a "replacement value" immediately improved the offer to a reasonable figure with no further argument.

My practise now is to include photos of the vehicle in any correspondence about value - as in the rebuild of my 90.

Good luck!

G.

mel

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2012, 09:25:54 PM »
Hi still no news of my landrover and my insurance company is very quite,hopng to get something soon as missing the tinkering.its a pain  as had landrover as i wanted for what i did,but you never stop wanting to play.

mel

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2012, 11:25:53 PM »
Got settled by insurance today,thay are having a laugh. guess  who ill be phoning  tomorrow.[any one got  half a d reg no frills m.o.t tax requiring major chassis work as may have a deposit if im lucky] why have an agread value  for vehicle if thats not where you start from?

genem

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2012, 11:50:44 PM »
Got settled by insurance today,thay are having a laugh. guess  who ill be phoning  tomorrow.[any one got  half a d reg no frills m.o.t tax requiring major chassis work as may have a deposit if im lucky] why have an agread value  for vehicle if thats not where you start from?

I suppose you could have seen that coming :-( . Get stuck in about them - Autotrader ads for similar vehicles - or better yet a letter from some reasonable garage that sells 'em.

mel

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2012, 06:40:18 PM »
Nothing like being robed twice but i paid for the second bandit. being reviewed?