member services section?

· 14 · 2402

therealmcneill

member services section?
« on: October 05, 2011, 09:42:07 AM »
had a thought that the forum May benefit from a "members services" section. In there companies could post about discounts available to members - garages, parts, services etc. A couple of bike forums I'm on have them and they seem to work well, it's sometimes hard as non active member to get the benefit of all the knowledge shared at events. Just wondering if folk thought it was worth considering?

Dave T

Re: member services section?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 12:32:20 PM »
Absolutely yes ..... as long as there were discounts or benefits for members, could be just open to paid up members perhaps rather than anyone that may be just a Forum member
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

coolcamper55

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 02:30:26 PM »
Why members only?

Surely the benefit you get out of your membership is sufficient to allow the club to share its "drawing power" for all , members and forum members.

Just my view of it :)

rangerovering

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 02:44:17 PM »
"There was discussion about having a section for commercial activity on the website but its not easy - Do we have a section for members to advertise their own operations - and then find a wad of spurious "members" joining for free advertising, with folk mislead into thinking that its a real "Club member" selling etc etc.  I suppose its the same with anything in the sales and wants section - notable that a number of posters only appear the once, to sell a motor...."

"Make it so the commercial services area is only viewable after 25 posts? Hopefully then people won't really know it's there at all and the real LR folks get to see it Roll Eyes"

Would this work?
Steve

therealmcneill

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 04:30:15 PM »
"There was discussion about having a section for commercial activity on the website but its not easy - Do we have a section for members to advertise their own operations - and then find a wad of spurious "members" joining for free advertising, with folk mislead into thinking that its a real "Club member" selling etc etc.  I suppose its the same with anything in the sales and wants section - notable that a number of posters only appear the once, to sell a motor...."

"Make it so the commercial services area is only viewable after 25 posts? Hopefully then people won't really know it's there at all and the real LR folks get to see it Roll Eyes"

Would this work?
  very good points, I'm not sure how other places manage. I don't think there should be a post target to hit to view areas as I'm sure many people use forums to gain information and don't have much to contribute - I'm certainly one!

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 10:49:06 AM »

Would this work?
What do you do when someone doesn't like the work performed by a company "advertising" on the club web site?
... or, even worse... the club forum?

Who manages the advertising? What are the guidelines for "appropriateness"? Are there any criteria for "quality"?

(perhaps that's an option - just as one can buy advertising space in the club magazine, so one could buy advertising space on the club web-site?)

rangerovering

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 12:35:13 PM »
Only positive comments allowed. That or members who have used the service can say so if they wish and other future customers can PM them if they want to know if it's any good.
Steve

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 08:06:34 PM »
[quote ]
Only positive comments allowed.
[/quote]

"Britpart stuff. It comes in a box" - Thats sort of thing ?  ;D

My view would be that the best place for a "Members Services" section would be on the website with proper paid for adverts or links to theirown websites in a specific section - if we want one. The Forum format is good for "small ads" for one-off sales/wants by "ordinary" punters rather than commercial operators.

..... a section on "Operators I'd NOT recommend" would be fun but probably end up in Court  ;D 
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

sthrifty

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 08:15:39 PM »
Its an idea worth taking  forward,but a minefield as well.Perhaps best to maintain things as they are no commercial adverts,but allow club members to recommend a garage or service.
There remains club publications for any commercial adverts at very reasonable rates

1995 300 tdi csw 110
series 3 109 2.25p
ex mil 1986 90 s/t 2.5na
88on galv chassis needs rebuild and more
Disco m reg 2l mpi
[/

Pilot Custard

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 09:50:52 AM »
..... a section on "Operators I'd NOT recommend" would be fun but probably end up in Court  ;D 
Been there, done that....

rangerovering

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 03:13:40 PM »
[quote ]
Only positive comments allowed.

"Britpart stuff. It comes in a box" - Thats sort of thing ?  ;D

[/quote]

Nah just the blue box of despair ;)

What I was meaning was if you are happy with a service you have got then say so.
Steve

therealmcneill

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 05:22:45 PM »
I guess I've obviously not thought too deeply about this before, instead just thinking about all the positives. Would be very difficult to set the initial rules. I'll keep using the search function or post an "does anyone know of a good ..."  :D

Pilot Custard

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 06:50:00 AM »
I guess I've obviously not thought too deeply about this before, instead just thinking about all the positives.
.... but keep thinking of things: the club can only get better by being better for its members - and that means taking on-board new ideas and trying new things.

Its like research: it took 39 fails to WD40 right :)

Dave T

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 07:37:24 AM »
It does seem to work on the Disco 3 forum, where forum sponsors offer discounts or special services to members, I don't recall there ever being any hassle over services. May encourage good service as word would quickly get round!
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite