2.25 Diesel Series 3 Lazy Starter

· 4 · 1293

Petes_Series

2.25 Diesel Series 3 Lazy Starter
« on: December 16, 2010, 11:01:27 PM »
Ok, going out of my mind here.

Since the advent of the cold wet weather my Landy has been constantly fighting me about starting.

She was never great at starting in the first place.

So in the summer replaced battery...worked better for a while, but battery seemed to drain over a couple of days. Bought a Battery Isolation switch, that helped for a while too and battery tends to hold its charge.

Now since the weather has has become very damp and cold Its lazy at turning over...it has now reached an extreme and almost doesnt turn over at all. I have tried a jumper pack and ever a jump from another car, lazy and unresponsive apart from once where I wiggled every cable I could find and it turned over at a normal car starting pace. Next time starting it...back to barely turning over.

I cleaned all the connections on the battery, starter Solenoid and starter earth connection. Still lousy. I have noticed when I turn the key to get the starter to turn the drop in voltage is huge.

I have taken the Starter motor out to clean all the external connectors, I am really reluctant to crack it open to check brushes.

Have I missed something easy?

We all know that small cars are good for us. But so is cod liver oil. And jogging.

Graeme

Re: 2.25 Diesel Series 3 Lazy Starter
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 09:05:32 AM »
yes the internals

Petes_Series

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 09:19:20 AM »
So to are thinking it needs cracked open?
We all know that small cars are good for us. But so is cod liver oil. And jogging.

Truckster

• Really must fit A/T's..........
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 08:33:08 PM »
Im no expert, but have you checked that the alternator is ok & heater plugs,although that wont explain the drop in voltage. If the battery is draining, then it sounds to me that something is draining it.

The Goddess went through a spell of not starting and i ended up changing the starter, alternator, battery, and it was the god damn battery cut off that was at fault!!  >:( Didnt know it until it cut off permenantly...in the middle of the Galloway forest hill rally.... :-[

As i say, im no expert-just another idea into the pot

Good luck
Mel ( & canine navigators )
109 Station Wagon-'The Goddess'- Sick Chassis...gutted!!
109 Station Wagon-'Firefly'-in need of tlc!!!
109 Ex-mil Rolling Chassis
Mk5 Blue Oval ( Goddess in training!!)