Axle

· 4 · 911

AberdeenRob

• Name: Robbie Stephen
Axle
« on: September 18, 2012, 08:50:47 AM »
Last night I tried to replace the UJs on my front propshaft but had some difficulties.  The first spider was no problem at all, but the cups in the second spider wouldn't move far enough out of the yoke to expose any of the cup.  Whilst applying a some vigorous encouragment to the axle with a hammer the little rectangular steel plate that was spot welded to the axle fell off - I presume this is for balancing the shaft and so is important. 

Any advice would be very welcome.

Cheers,
Robbie
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 12:33:55 PM by AberdeenRob »

python

• its not a landrover if it doesn't leak oil.
Re: Axle
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 04:52:05 PM »
Yeah. It's a balance weight. Can you weld it back on? Or maybe a couple of tie raps temporarily.?
my name, JON
disco 200 tdi,
disco 300 tdi
110 v8
3 x freelanders td4
1965 series 2a 109 crewcab.
series 3 on galvy chassis
disco 200 tdi,
disco 3.9 v8 lpg
disco 3,9. no lpg????

amature radio callsign MM6MIS

agmech 53

• Name: Jim Wilson
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 08:27:51 PM »
Did you get the UJ changed then? If not I'd suggest a socket and a vice with plenty WD40 to get the cup moving, with regard to the balancing weight I'd get your local mechanic to tack it back on, unless you've got a welder yourself, not sure if the cable tie idea will hold it tight enough when in motion, where about are you? Might be someone on here local that can tack it back on for you?

regards,
Jim

AberdeenRob

• Name: Robbie Stephen
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 07:54:40 AM »
Thanks guys, confirmed what I'd thought.  Am in Aberdeen and can't weld myself but will probably get one of the guys at work to tack weld it on for me.

Robbie