Worst vehicle to work on ?

· 11 · 1910

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Worst vehicle to work on ?
« on: February 23, 2011, 10:08:20 PM »
I'll start with my wifes Citroen van. The fuse controlling the washers blew....almost impossible to get at. 1 of 3 ( !!) Fuse boxs is under the bonnet but one of the catches is right up against the headlamps so even if you get a hand on it you can't move the catch. The manual even states that you need to " Detach the fuse box and tilt it to gain access" - but once unbolted from the bodywork it still will not move because cables come out from several sides of the box... Absolutely rotten design.   >:( >:( >:(
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

hovis

• Life is like a mud pit you can't see what's coming
  • Name: Richard Brown
Re: Worst vehicle to work on ?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 10:17:53 PM »
I feel your pain I hate the berlingo I lost the key and what a night mare but I did not let the little French ********* beat me hang in there bud. It could be worst you might need a computer to fix it lol
05 D3 TDV6
98 disco 300TDI
90 110 200tdi
89 90 2.5 turbo

gary1968

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 10:50:22 PM »
Try changing the fuel pump relay on an X5, you have to remove the dash board to get to that bit of the electrical box........ IMO designers should spend a few years of their apprenticeship actually working on cars before they are allowed to start designing them..... ok rant over!

Gaz

Oh, and what twat at LR decided that changing the design of the rear hub on a disco 2 was good idea. If the hud springs a leak then its a new hub ?180ish for parts, the series 1 just needed a 30bob O ring.

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 11:47:26 AM »
Clutch slave cylinder on an Audi A8.... a total nightmare of a job!

python

• its not a landrover if it doesn't leak oil.
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 01:04:58 PM »
timing belt on a ford puma. total pig to do, no room anywhere.  ::)
my name, JON
disco 200 tdi,
disco 300 tdi
110 v8
3 x freelanders td4
1965 series 2a 109 crewcab.
series 3 on galvy chassis
disco 200 tdi,
disco 3.9 v8 lpg
disco 3,9. no lpg????

amature radio callsign MM6MIS

boghog

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 02:04:17 PM »
Apart from the fact you have to dismantle most modern vehicles to get at anything, the workshop manuals are great at missing out the location of a fixing or two, usually the ones you can't see or feel without knowing they are there in the first place! Many an hour lost and parts broken due to this.

Audi helpfully tell you not to bother and just go to the dealer for everything, even changing a light bulb.

hovis

• Life is like a mud pit you can't see what's coming
  • Name: Richard Brown
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 03:25:57 PM »
Audi are a night mare I had to get my 7 year old son to change an indicator bulb on my wife's A4 because I Could not get my hand in what is gong on with new cars??????????

You have to remove the whole front end to change the timing belt another pain!

I have the solution every one should by an old Landy there are not many jobs you can't do yours self with ease. And folks are always happy to help because there is no need for a computer bring back the real cars!
05 D3 TDV6
98 disco 300TDI
90 110 200tdi
89 90 2.5 turbo

piper5

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 05:44:56 PM »
generally speaking if i own it , its a pig of a job , if it belongs to someone else thens its not a problem , i hate fixing my own motor if they break i am a bad tempered git.

R.G.P.

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 06:13:33 PM »
I'm with you piper, changing the clutch on my front wheel drive transit caused much swearing but helping my brother caused much hilarity laughing at the lack of common sense on his saxo
LR90 2.5td (until it melts)
currently a nice shade of primer grey

8cylinder

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 07:55:26 PM »
Handbrake control units on new passats are a mare.
Centre console out,seats out,then the task of re coding it to ure a.b.s control unit etc etc.

jas23

• Name: John Sinclair
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 09:42:19 PM »
must be new cars indicators as 90% of the cars must have faulty ones that cant be fixed.