Newbie.......Help with buying 1st RR

· 5 · 1361

Alan07

Newbie.......Help with buying 1st RR
« on: October 02, 2011, 02:52:51 PM »
Hello everyone,

Just joined this forum as I am looking at buying my 1st used Range Rover. Live in a rural location and have steep driveway, looking to use purchased RR over winter months mostly so looking to spend as little as possible for one in relatively good condition but not looking for a repair job. I am looking for any advise / assistance in what I should look for, likely cost, common faults........looked at a few online but unsure if I should consider petrol or diesel or LPG. Been looking at P38 reg's from about 1999 - 2001 as been told its a good version?

Any help and tips would be appreciated

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
Re: Newbie.......Help with buying 1st RR
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 05:11:46 PM »
Petrol will be ~20mpg, diesel will be ~35mpg, LPG is hard to find.

Whatever you buy, keep back at least a grand to fettle & fix things (you're looking at a car that's about 10 years old.... there WILL be problems with it!)

rangerovering

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 12:54:03 AM »
For P38's look for.....

Something that has been repaired meticulously (ideally by LR even though it is no guarantee of excellence)
The later in the model line up the better
Be very very vigilant of anything electrical, door locks are a good one!
Suspicious coolant problems, hard top hoses and water in oil/oil in water
Misfires
Air suspension foibles

And anything electrical!

A new BECM will be ?450 odd from LR (don't whatever you do buy anything else). Suspension can be fixed to last a long long time but a decent investment is needed up front. Don't accept anything that has been serviced erratically or cheaply. Also there are some P38's with open loop LPG kits, do NOT buy them - this exasperates the lean burn, hot running, slipped liner problem. Good multipoint kits are fine but make sure it is well serviced.

I would say you need to have anything from ?1500 to ?2000 ready if you buy a ?1500 -?2000 car, suspension and a BECM will eat most of that no problem, though he suspension will be nigh on bullet proof if you have caught it early.
Steve

geoff

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 07:11:39 AM »
Hi,

Because of the above, go for a 300Tdi disco

Geoff

rangerovering

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 08:43:38 AM »
Hi,

Because of the above, go for a 300Tdi disco

Geoff

:o Nooo 300tdi RRC if you must but not a disco  :P Soft Dash Classic would be nice....
Steve