Defender buying advice

· 11 · 2725

Dave T

Defender buying advice
« on: September 01, 2010, 12:56:40 PM »
As I am really getting biten by the off roading bug I am thinking of buying an older Defender (probably a 90).

Is there somewhere that tells me the spec (engine/brakes etc) for model years?

What would be the best type of car for a first Defender, what are the merits of the 90 over the 110, I do like getting my hands dirty but don't want too much of a project.

What in particular should I be looking out for that I wouldn't for any other car?

Any other good general advice gratefully accepted from any experts out there.

1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

jumbo

• drive through car wash landrover style
    • photo bucket
Re: Defender buying advice
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 01:14:19 PM »
as they age they tend to get 'extras' its not always clear cut just by looking at a year plate cause almost anything seems to fit them

i got a 'd' reg 90 with a 200tdi engine and lt77 box, thats 4 years ahead of its time. also rear axle needed replaced so its got a disco1 rear axle now giving disc brakes all round rather than drums on the rear

ps; i aint no expert but even im finding things on my 90 lol
doug
2005 3door freelander td4
1986 90s/w with 200tdi

warning::: any jokes posted by myself come with a health warning!!!!!

coolcamper55

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 01:15:05 PM »
How long have you got? :D :D

There are schools of thought over which engine / gear box is the best but most of the other stuff has not changed in years.

The TD5 I had was apart from the ECM and associated electronics simple to work on and maintain. Good set of tools and you can do almost anything.

The 300TDI engine is also an easy piece of plant to work on and even easier is the 200TDI.

Most of the transmission train is much of a muchness and apart from different part numbers the mechanics is basically the same.

Since you have a discovery you will be familiar with the problems concerning rust. The same issues come up in Defenders, they can leak like sieves so check out the floor wells and bulkhead for rust and obviously the chassis, outriggers, rear crossmember as well as main chassis bearers.

One thing that caught me out was the master cylinder on the clutch, watch for leaking fluid on the back of the clutch pedal.

I think that should be enough to carry on with, good luck

T

ruaritreble

• ruariboy
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 03:43:21 PM »
Karis 110 - The perfect way to get a MTB to the top of the hill.
Power to the pedal!

Myrtle Air Portable - V8
------------------------
MM6IIO
------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/ruariboy

http://s826.photobucket.com/home/ruariboy

Truckster

• Really must fit A/T's..........
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 04:39:05 PM »
Easily solved ....get a series... ;D ;D ;D ;D
Mel ( & canine navigators )
109 Station Wagon-'The Goddess'- Sick Chassis...gutted!!
109 Station Wagon-'Firefly'-in need of tlc!!!
109 Ex-mil Rolling Chassis
Mk5 Blue Oval ( Goddess in training!!)

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 09:58:14 PM »

and when the bug really bites, a series of series !!

I'd go for a 200 or 300 Tdi, the last engines before they stuck the electrickery boxes on them. Not much that you cannot fix with duct tape, a 10 and a 13mm spanner, philips screwdriver .....and an angle grinder. 90 for short off-road trips, 110 if you are looking to carry a tonne ( literally) of gear or extra passengers.

G. 

If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

boghog

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 10:40:13 PM »

Seriously, a good option as you can get one in reasonable condition for less money than a Defender. They suffer much the same problems in terms of corrosion but are cheap to insure (classic car) also cheap and easy to fix. If you can find one with a galvanised chassis you are onto a winner as it eliminates most of the weak spots in one go. Depends on what you are going to be using it for and how often.

The series engines are probably a bit of a drawback as they are not powerful and thirsty but plenty have been converted to TDi or V8 like mine. Both engines give better oomph and mpg. My 88" is fantastic offroad (at least it is better than I am) and gets lots of admiring looks when on the tarmac.

Calum.

sj72blair

• Name: Steven Blair
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 11:21:46 PM »
I agree with Tommy, watch out for rot in the chassis(especially rear cross member and various outriggers, mainly the bulkhead supporting ones) and rot in the bulkhead(footwells and top corners). Front doors rot badly at the bottom and cost a small fortune to replace, so try and buy the one with the least amount of rot you can find.
As far as what to go for, it depends on what you want to use it for most. I have a pair of v8 127's which are superb for their purpose but a bit tight in Tesco's car park and not ideal for an rtv but still capable off road for their size. If it's mainly off road use a 90 would be the better choice as it's a bit more nimble than a 110 but the 110 is better if you need to carry a lot of gear but is still excellent off road( just remember to declare your shunt at rtv's).
A 200tdi or 300tdi are the most practical and sought after engines and are easy to maintain, but if your only using it occaisionally a v8 is a seriously fun option with a better sound track, just remember the waterproofing if you plan on getting it wet!
One things for sure, there'll be plenty to play with to get your hands dirty personalising your defender.
 cheers,
           Stevie.   

Tim

• Carbon has a footprint but it has no feet.........
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 09:41:55 PM »
My advice - Don't buy the first one you go to look at - there are lots out there,
If you have never brought one before then get hold some of the folks on here to go with you when you do find one you want to buy so they can all pass their critical eye over it (I did this even at the main dealers!),
Don't be frightened to buy from a main dealer - they have the newest and best stock, but they won't stock cars older then 6 years old/100,000 miles and they do charge the highest prices.
If you can afford a used Puma 2.4TDci (even though they have lots lecky control units that don't like water) the engine in them is fantastic.
There is no such thing as a cheap Defender....................... if you find one that is cheap to buy then it is going to cost you a lot to put it right!

In 2002 I spent ?10k on buying mine - I set out with a budget of ?1000.............................. and saw lots of rubbish that was only fit for spare parts. I still have it, although in the nearly ten years in between it has continually had money spent on it - converted from a hard top to a stationwagon, new tyres, new galvanised chassis after the original started to turn to dust, new suspension, hydraulic winch fitted...................... it also runs faultlessly which is very important for a non-technical person like me and it gets a full check up and service every year even though these days it's lucky to drive more than 3000 miles in that time, but it is heavily offroaded when it gets used and has given me many many hours of fun.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 11:15:42 PM by Tim »
On my drive now - Zanzibar Bronze Evoque 5 door Dynamic Lux Plus with Intelligence & Black Packs with Tan interior
Gone - Fuji White RR Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux Plus
Staying - 1996 Epsom Green TDi 300 CHT that is now a CSW

Dave T

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 03:50:10 PM »
what are your opinions on 2.5 non turbo 90? gutless wonders or worth a punt?
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 06:14:25 PM »
what are your opinions on 2.5 non turbo 90? gutless wonders or worth a punt?

Not gutless, just not fast, think 60 mph tops. Fine for off-road and country roads but hard work for a long motorway trip. Very basic technology so easy to work on etc.

If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....