Explain fan !!!!

· 15 · 2019

kvz2000

• Name: Donald
Explain fan !!!!
« on: September 21, 2012, 09:51:23 PM »
Hi all ,

Please bear with me on this one, I have just bought a landy 90 which has had a 200TDI from and early Discovery fitted, new 300 TDI radiator too.
The previous owner said it did not require a fan !!! As it ran fine without one, he was going to fit an electric fan.
Anyway he gave me the original fan from the 200TDI engine but the blades would catch on the bottom radiator hose.   I know this might not be a great idea but I cut down the blades so that the fan could be fitted.

When fan fitted to the pulley on the water pump and engine started it appeared that the fan was blowing cool air in the opposite direction away from radiator and towards the engine ?? Why is this? I thought perhaps the plastic blades had been fitted the wrong way round but they don't fit any other way.

I would have thought that the fan should blow cool air towards the radiator !!! Am I missing something here , I have just viewed some photos of the engine on the web and the fan does appear to face the way in had it when the air was going away from the radiator.

HELP !!!

Cheers
Donald.

DRH

Re: Explain fan !!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 10:20:35 PM »
Isn't the idea of the fan to draw air through the radiator?

Duncan

kvz2000

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 11:50:31 PM »
Well that would explain things , if so then it's working fine !!!!!  In my ignorance I just thought the fan would blow cool air onto the radiator,

Thanks for that,

Donald

Buffalo Bill

• Name: Bill Conner
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 12:17:33 AM »
sorry but it would fight against the natural flow of air
1989 110
1990 90
1988 90
1972 V8 WOOP WOOP

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 12:27:17 AM »
sorry but it would fight against the natural flow of airvast amounts of water....

There Bill, Fixed that for you...

:-)
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Dave T

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 10:11:21 AM »
sorry but it would fight against the natural flow of airvast amounts of water....

There Bill, Fixed that for you...

:-)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :o :o :o :o :o
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite

kvz2000

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 10:40:25 AM »
Thanks guys,

No doubt more silly questions in the pipeline from me,

Cheers

Donald

agmech 53

• Name: Jim Wilson
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 11:37:26 AM »
Always better to ask a silly question than make a silly mistake!

DRH

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 01:25:02 PM »
There are no silly questions on here - everybody learns something useful on this forum

Duncan

kvz2000

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 02:44:49 PM »
Due to the engine conversion (200TDI ) I had to cut the blades on the fan to prevent it catching the bottom radiator hose, there is still quite a draft behind the fan but as it sits about 8 or 9 inches away from the radiator will it have any effect ??

Still think I will require an electric fan fitted,

Donald

piper5

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 05:48:14 PM »
you will need a electric fan or will have to build a cowl to direct the air, otherwise it will heat up a bit on long hills or towing, you can do it various ways, kenlowe kit, chinese kit or any old fan and switch, personally i got a kit from ebay from bolt on bits, it has a thermal switch in the top hose that controls the fan

agmech 53

• Name: Jim Wilson
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 05:51:03 PM »
There are no silly questions on here - everybody learns something useful on this forum

Duncan

Oops wasn't meaning this was a silly question, was just quoting what my journyman always said to me, would perhaps been better worded as ' Always better to ask what you might think is a silly question, than make a silly mistake' no offence intended!
cheers,
Jim

kvz2000

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 09:09:10 PM »
No worried Jim,

Your post was fine ,

Donald

DRH

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 08:57:13 PM »
You can fit a an electric fan just using a manual on/off switch and an electric fan off a scrap motor from the scrappies.

If you go this route make sure you put the fan on whatever side of the radiator it comes off the donor car.

If it's on the outside of the radiator on the donor, it'll blow the air through the radiator,  If it's mounted on the inside of the radiator, it'll draw the air through the radiator.  Either way it doesn't matter.  Remember and wire the electrics the correct way, or the fan will operate in reverse!

If you go the manual switching way, you might be better to use a relay so as not to overload the wiring

After saying all that, the tdi engine usually runs happily without a fan, and would normally only beneift from one in really hot weather and when off roading.

Hope this helps

kvz2000

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 11:34:45 PM »
Thanks guys,

For all the cost , I think I will buy an electric fan and wire via a thermostat .

Donald