engine temp and rubber thing....

· 3 · 1062

cozzie

• Scottish Traction Engine Society
  • Name: Colin Lowson
engine temp and rubber thing....
« on: July 30, 2012, 12:19:16 AM »
Still being relatively new to owning one of these jeep...erm 110 300tdi things I have a  few questions.

Firstly and perhaps more importantly having changed the oil and replaced the oil, fuel and air filters I have noted that the engine temp gauge is sitting lower than normal (slightly left of centre for me) is this to be expected or have I committed some terribly newbie error? Granted my test run wasn't long but i was on the road for at least 20 mins on varying road types.

Secondly in the air intake on the left hand top wing underneath the plastic grill is a plastic tray obviously designed to keep water out the system, in that is a rubber gland....does this have a purpose other than to gather $hite and get blocked? I've cleaned it and replaced it as the last time it was raining and I put the fans on there was more water on the inside of the windscreen than was hitting the outside. I was just wondering what exactly it was designed to do.
ex-RM Navy Defender 110 300Tdi Hard Top

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Re: engine temp and rubber thing....
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 03:58:36 PM »
Nope, you are fine on both counts - my 300 Tdi 90 is exactly the same, except that I've lost the rubber bit off what is the air-intake to the heater, all it means is I probably suck in a bit more air from the engine bay to the heater than you do. As for the engine temp, thats exactly where mine sits unless I'm towing something really heavy. Again, all fine ecxept it probably means the engine never really gets up to temperature and the heater is a bit less effective than it could be. I've an electric fan sitting in the shed waiting to be fitted so that rather than be cooled all the time the engine will only be cooled when a thermostat says it hot. 
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

cozzie

• Scottish Traction Engine Society
  • Name: Colin Lowson
Re: engine temp and rubber thing....
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 11:58:03 AM »
Thanks Gene
ex-RM Navy Defender 110 300Tdi Hard Top