td5 3 amigos and ace pipes woes

· 8 · 2735

webby

td5 3 amigos and ace pipes woes
« on: September 22, 2013, 01:19:52 PM »
getting the disco ready for the dreaded mot, and working through a long list of bits that need doing, and one of which is the 3 amigos are on, first thought was a wheel bearing, but the lights never ever go off, they are there from the ignition being put on, and I believe that it probably wont be a bearing or sensor, as they would only put it on after the old girl started moving, so is it more than likely to be the SVS / abs pump? the abs etc dosent work at all at the minute?
 also the ace pipes are leaking, is there an easy way to bleed the system after replacing the parts, or does it have to be done through a testbook?
 thanks guys
could you pass the spanner....... the other one, oh the hammer too....... ok the grinder please......

The Classic Man

• Name: Robin Watt
Re: td5 3 amigos and ace pipes woes
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 01:50:54 PM »
Remove the ACE system. you can get a kit for this. Remove the pump and replace it with a new idler from the kit. Strathearn Engineering can do this at app £200.
The Classic Man
Heros & RNLI member

Alarmgard

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 03:54:55 PM »
If there is a wheel bearing or a senor fault the lights will be on all the time until they are reset using a diagnostic tool. You need to plug it in and do a diagnostic check to see what is actually wrong.
Colin Rodger

Marshals needed for CompSafari's give me a call if you can help.
Email:colin.rodger@virgin.net or mobile: 07767726075

piper5

Re: td5 3 amigos and ace pipes woes2A
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 06:18:42 PM »
as colin says more likely to be a wheel bearing, the lights wont go out until the fault is fixed then run for a few hundred yards till it detects the repair. really needs plugged in, but its worth jacking up and spinning each wheel , generally the fronts go first then the rears a year later

boghog

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 07:57:57 PM »
Before you go changing front wheel bearings\hub at £175 a pop, find out exactly what the fault code is with a Hawkeye, garage plug-in or similar. Mine was caused by the electrical contacts inside the ABS valve block (fault says shuttle valve position fault or similar). Look the Discovery 2 club website and you will find ways of repairing it at zero cost if you want to tackle it yourself. If you end up needing to bleed the system then having access to Hawkeye or the likes is preferable.

I rewired my shuttle valve switches direct to the wiring loom as per the website link and haven't had any bother for the last two years. ABS is perfect. Nothing wrong with anything in the first place, just a rubbish electrical design.

Calum.

mikes lr

• Name: michael sherwood
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 03:05:46 PM »
hawkeye here in falkirk if you want a plug in foc for discovery 2

SJF

• Name: Stuart Ford
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 08:21:51 PM »
Had the same problem with my disco 2 done everything possible wiring etc changed the damaged wheel bearing and stil light stayed on plug into diagnostic reset fault and Walla over a year now it's been ok so touch wood it stay like that I took it to diesel jock in Blackburn he has the solous pro gives you code and fault and he's cheap  :D

webby

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 11:16:08 PM »
thanks for all the replys guys, and the offer of diagnostics, but ive managed to get it into a local indy for £30 which I thought was cheap?!  it is going in on wedensday morning, so will update you when she has been in!!
could you pass the spanner....... the other one, oh the hammer too....... ok the grinder please......