Vulcano

discovery or freelander
« on: May 03, 2011, 11:25:59 AM »
Hi joined the forum today. just i a few questions.

Is there much much of an mpg hit between manual/auto discovery(diesel)
What kind of mods required for mild off roading
Lastly could i get a way with greenlaning on a lifted freelander 1

Seen a few disco's on gumtree reasonably priced so what to look out for body/mechanical

David

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Re: discovery or freelander
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 03:33:06 PM »
David, Welcome ! You'll not need to make any mods at all to a Disco to off-road it unless its a previous owner has put absolutely road-bias, near slick, low profile tyres on it.  "Out of the box" Disco is a a very very capable vehicle off-road. My advice would be to do some offroading with the club or a few members, see what happens and only then start shelling out on ironmongery, big tyres etc.

Rust is the big killer of Discos. Body mounts, sills, boot floor among others. Check for leaks if its got a sunroof. 

Personally I'm no fan of Freelander 1 but it is also pretty capable off road and the lighter weight sometimes gets it places bigger vehicles fail on.  For the sort of farm tracks & forestry roads you'll encounter on a green road run a Freelander will be fine - no lift required.

If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 05:41:32 PM »
Yep, Thats in in a nutshell.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

bertracoon1616

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 08:49:07 AM »
Id go disco all the way personally. The most effective offroading mod you could do would be a set of offroad tyres, like was said above, they are pretty capable strtaight out of the box. As far as the freelander goes they were always the weakest in the landrover line up but i honestly dont really know much about them (apart from avoid the K series like the plague!!!)

And if ure getting a disco i would say get a V8! You will never tire of mashing ure foot to the floor!
1995 Discovery 3.9 V8

Give it the beans!!

Vulcano

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 10:43:54 AM »
In reply to bertracoon1616, thought about a v8 but the fuel economy put me off.
Seen a few lpg ones for sale, but just one more complication to go wrong.
Work used to run vans on gas , got rid of them.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 10:57:44 AM by Vulcano »

bertracoon1616

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »
Yeah, they really are quite thirsty beasts, i work offshore so the car doesnt really get used a huge amount so i can absorb the cost, but if i had a regular commuting job i would have definately looked at a diesel. But like i said above, every time i floor it its puts a huge grin on my face!!
1995 Discovery 3.9 V8

Give it the beans!!

rangerovering

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 04:00:41 PM »
Single point LPG is incredibly simple and more relieable than the petrol injection on the V8's!!

Freelanders are good, however  get something mechanically sound I would avoid anything sub ?1200 or thereabouts. An auto will be best off road to compensate for the lack of low range. A freebie will also not have the rust issues of a disco. A body lift can give it the same clearance as a standard defender, coupled with the underbody armour used on the G4 and Camel versions it's more or less point and squirt  ;D
Steve

tio

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 10:54:37 AM »
Bert i've had both and wouldnt go back to a freelander unless it was a fl2, you will miss that low box if you dont buy the discovery, are discoverys cheaper too,,,, i'm unsure i've lost my way a bit with the prices, also the freelander driveline is plagued with problems, tio

Vulcano

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 03:46:30 PM »
Thanks for the info guys decided to lookout for a discovery, reading the forum it seems the best bet.
The things that go wrong on a freelander seem to be horendously expensive,
 i.e viscous coupling leading to ird failure also 1.8 tend to have cylinder head problems

chiboy24659

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 06:23:48 PM »
 8) Not long got rid of my Discovery and got a Freelander don,t think i,d go back to a disco about the only thing not to go wrong was the v8 on LPG loads of small things went wrong with  the bloody thing i had the Disco about 5 years got a freelander and frist thing i did was do the head gasget timing belt and sorted out all bushes on transmishion new happy with an sorted car  ;D ;D ;D
300 v8i Discovery with a few mods lol