Loss of power in td5 110

· 9 · 5603

Swampy

Loss of power in td5 110
« on: June 24, 2010, 12:52:59 PM »
Hi new to the club and looking for advice & help. My defender 110 td5 started to loose power when I tried to accelerate at speeds above 40ish.  In the end I was lucky to get 25 outof it.  It idles fine and starts ok.  Do not know if it is related but a few days ago when I switched the enging off I could hear a high pitched whine coming from the engine that gradually got slower before stopping.  The defender has only done 33000 miles with a full service history and new fuel pump fitted 6 months ago.  Also can anyone reccomend a landrover mechanic in the west lothian area. 

cedric_r

• Yorkie
Re: Loss of power in td5 110
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 01:35:43 PM »
Having been investigating a loss of power for the last few months (not solved to my satisfaction yet but I still have a few ideas to test), I can tell you that there are many many possible causes for a power loss (MAF, MAP, air in fuel, fuel filter, fuel pump, exhaust manifold, collapsed catalytic converter depending on version of the td5, broken turbo, split turbo hoses, overboost due to sticky wastegate, air filter, intercooler, injector codes, injector timings, injector seals, FPR, oil in the wiring harness, damaged ECU, leaky or stuck EGR to name but a few). It's hard to guess without looking at it. When does it happen? Does it feel like it loses power suddenly? Does it do it in all gears? When under load? Does it smoke? Do you see oil in the red plug of the ECU? Can you rev the engine in neutral?

As for the noise in the engine after you switch off, as far as I know, the only moving part that continues moving after the engine is off is the centrifugal filter. I guess possibly the turbo for a very brief moment (due to kinetic energy) too, but I'm not sure. So I'd check the centrifugal filter first, even though I'm not sure it can cause a power loss.
Cedric

Black Sheep

• "should have bought a 90"
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 02:08:13 PM »
hi, although not a landrover garage take it to McIndoes at Broxburn. Douglas the manager is also a member here aswell as being a scrutineer and landy enthusiast.
Regards
Ross

MudBucket

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 04:43:10 PM »
I've had something like this before.

is there a loud hissing sound when you try to accelerate?
the turbo hose on mine has a very small slit in it and was letting out air (between the turbo and the intercooler), and i got a drop in power. eventually the hose fell off the turbo end and i lost a considerable amount of power, acceleration sucked, and i could only manage about 30mph.
new turbo hose and all was well again.

as cedric says could be any of the things he has looked at.

rangerovering

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 05:46:24 PM »
As above the whine is the filter slowing down, perfectly normal!

Just a thought but perhaps the ECU is in "limp" mode? Maybe worth getting it read, check for wter under the seat as well as that can do funny things to the ECU!
Steve

Swampy

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 05:55:31 PM »
Cheers for the suggestions guys . Much appreciated as for the landy garage I ended upo taking it to Clifton Garage in East Calder was recommended by a mate bute will keep the one in broxburn in mind for future.

stage recovery

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 11:21:59 PM »
From previous experience,a turbo hose which has delaminated inside causing the very same symptoms.
    The inside wall of the hose comes away like a balloon severely restricting the airflow to the point the engine cannot rev up,but could sit at tickover no problem.

discojock

• TAY 4 X 4 SHRC
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 09:17:20 AM »
I would check for a faulty turbo hose.
Cheers.

Swampy

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 10:21:28 AM »
Big thanks to all for the advice on the loss of power.  Turned out to be a faulty fuel pump that was fitted about 6 months ago.  Anyway all sorted now and I am mobile once again 8) cheers.