v8 disco lpg convertion

· 4 · 1292

jimmy91

v8 disco lpg convertion
« on: November 29, 2010, 08:52:53 AM »
hi folks.just bought a v8 disco 3.9 with an autogas air intake lpg system fitted.it runs sweet on petrol but when swithed to gas will only idle,wont go above 1500 rpm.i  no nothing about lpg systems but yesterday it got the better of me n decided to take a look.a took off vaporizer and found the big diaphram in the back was sucked in  a little at one bit,i pulled it out rebuilt it and it ran perfect on gas,until i switched it of,where it went back to idle only.i stripped again,but diaphram was ok this time but found the surrounding gasket had a few small cracks in it.i rebuilt it again with a little sealer over the cracks and again it ran sweet on gas until i switched it off.does this sound like a problem with the diaphram or the vaporizer its self.also,can lpg go off/have a sell by date?
any info will be greatly appreciated.
cheers jim

Sandy

Re: v8 disco lpg convertion
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 01:00:05 PM »
Cant' help with LPG kit but doubt if LPG can 'go off'. In the tank it is liquid and is sealed in so should be good for ever. Sandy.

Navigator

• Discovery 4 Causeway
  • Name: Stuart Clink
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 01:24:50 PM »
I ran one of these for years.  Great idea, goes very well. Seals need to be good, vaseline helps. Have a look in the plenum chamber, it's odd you have not mentioneed the flame trap gauze and it might have been sucked in.

It's not blue is it?
Navigator          GM1VBE

boghog

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 07:19:09 PM »
I am by no means an expert on LPG and not familiar with the system you have but I do know that a friend of mine tried LPG for a couple of years with a pretty basic kit. He had problems keeping the vapouriser at the correct temperature with the wide difference between summer and winter. He fitted an adjustable valve on the hose feeding it from the cooling system to adjust the flow. If it is too cold it will not vapourise the fuel fast enough which would limit your revs? Very cold just now so try running it hotter.

Calum.