GRR - 16th November - Central Scotland - UPDATED

· 9 · 3049

yellodisco

• Name: Alan Griffith
GRR - 16th November - Central Scotland - UPDATED
« on: October 21, 2014, 02:23:30 PM »
Next Green Road Run is scheduled for 16th November - we have applied for access to a large forest in the centre of Scotland - route has been recce'd with the Forestry Commission and all of the paperwork completed, but I' m just waiting for their final written permission before posting up details here. I expect to get that in next couple of days so look out for full details on the forum shortly, Alan
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 06:16:47 PM by yellodisco »

alang2

• Name: alan gray
Re: GRR - 16th November - Central Scotland - details to follow
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 07:53:44 PM »
we are going to the December green road run but something more central would be welcome - hopefully you get a response soon  :)

s17acs

• Name: Andrew Steel
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 08:56:45 AM »
This sounds great!  Count me in.
Based in the central belt and would be good to bring the family.
Looking forward to the full details.
Andrew.

yellodisco

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 08:01:19 PM »
Hi, it's Carron Valley we've applied for - north of Kilsyth, west of Denny, East of Fintry. I spoke with Forestry Commission contact on Friday, and while they don't have any issues with the application, they cannot send formal confirmation until later this coming week -as soon as I get that, full details will be posted, Alan

Biffysun2

• Name: Biffysun2
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 01:47:28 PM »
 :), Newbie here after lurking for a few years took the plunge and signed up! BinLaw also signed up for SLROC and we both fancy this outing as a first GRR, previously been to a few driving days and enjoyed them looking forward to this 8)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 01:55:47 PM by Biffysun2 »

yellodisco

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 06:15:48 PM »
Permission form received today -phew!- so all good to go on Sunday 16th.

Meeting point is the Forestry Commission car park on the B818 between Denny and Fintry, at east end of Carron Valley Reservoir. If coming up from the south you may want to come over via Takmadoon Road from Kilsyth as that in itself is an interesting drive, with a small ford, deeper after heavy rain.
We have been granted access to 25+ miles of forest tracks all of which is safely drive-able by road going vehicles. There were some grass covered sections when I recce'd it a few weeks ago, but had no problem on road tyres. I have been advised that there may be some slightly muddier bits now due to recent forestry operations, but definitely no off-road areas for "playing about" in.
Sign on is between 10 and 11, and we have to be clear of the forest by 4pm. Cost is £10 to cover FC charges. Each vehicle must have at least one club member in it for insurance purposes. There are toilets at the meeting point but few other facilities in the area so bring a packed lunch /picnic. There is sometimes a snack bar in the car park at weekends, but don't rely on it.
Families (and dogs) welcome to come along and make a day of it. There are lots of scenic picnic spots and the Forestry have asked me to highlight some of the features in this forest, as below.
There's a Loch Shore Trail woodland walk including a children's activity area. The summit of Meikle Bin hill (1886 feet) is only a 20 minute walk from the highest point of our route, and provides the most prominent vantage point in the Campsies from where it is possible to see Scotland coast to coast: from Bass Rock and the lowlands of the Forth Valley in the east to Ben Lomond and Ben Ledi in the west. Duncarron Medieval Village is a full scale replica of a fortified village being constructed by volunteers from the Clanranald Trust and has open days throughout the year. Remains of the Castle of Sir John de Graham who was a loyal supporter and friend of Willaim Wallace, and is a fine example of a medieval earthwork with an unusual square moat. The forest is rich in wildlife, including red deer, red squirrels (which don't hibernate), pine martens and ospreys (which have probably migrated now!).
So, plenty to see and do in this forest, in addition to lots of track driving - a clear sunny day would be great! Hope to see a good turnout , and if it does get busy at sign-on we have been asked to take care not to block the car park for the general public.
Give me a shout if you need any other info.
Alan
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 06:18:00 PM by yellodisco »

david

• Name: David Russell
Re: GRR - 16th November - Central Scotland - UPDATED
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 08:43:15 PM »
Hi, looking forward to this GRR, will be good to explore and take our time to do so, have been within the forest with 'Mudmaster'.

See you then, most probably laden with kids and dogs too!

Dave C

• Name: Dave C
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 10:34:35 AM »
Looking forward to a good day.  :)

alang2

• Name: alan gray
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 07:14:56 PM »
Great to hear you have received permission for the run - also it means we can bring the mutts as well Alan and it sounds like a great venue - we are really looking forward to seeing you all - Alan - Yes another    :D