December GRR - Sun 11th at Garelochhead

· 9 · 2500

yellodisco

• Name: Alan Griffith
December GRR - Sun 11th at Garelochhead
« on: November 19, 2016, 12:19:18 AM »
hi Folks, for the final GRR of the year we're planning to return to the MOD training area at Garelochhead.

Just waiting for final agreement and sign-off from MOD which will hopefully be through shortly. As soon as its received I'll post up full details here, but in the meantime, put the date in your diaries - Sunday 11th December, 10am sign on.
Start spreading the word......

Alan

OldJocksRustbucket

Re: December GRR - Sun 11th at Garelochhead
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 07:52:02 PM »
Sounds good Alan, hope everything goes ok with MOD will be there
Jock

cenemc

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 05:53:13 PM »
Is this the same place that was cancelled at the beginning of the year due to the key holder not turning up and around 30 vehicles had to go away?

No, it is the same place that the "key holder" was involved in an accident on the way to it so it had to be cancelled.
So then various vehicles went off to a Pay'n'play or went to rescue the "key holder" on the 6th December 2015. 
::)

ianp45

• Name: Ian piacentini
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 10:44:04 PM »
Is this the same place that was cancelled at the beginning of the year due to the key holder not turning up and around 30 vehicles had to go away?

No, it is the same place that the "key holder" was involved in an accident on the way to it so it had to be cancelled.
So then various vehicles went off to a Pay'n'play or went to rescue the "key holder" on the 6th December 2015. 
Well thanks for the new info,as that's not what I was told on the day.Hope the Key holder was not hurt.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 11:02:43 PM by ianp45 »
Green Defender 110 Utility TDCI

yellodisco

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 12:29:50 AM »
Keyholder had a good reason for "not turning up" last year, suffering a serious incident on the way to the event, and the 2nd organiser went to provide help and recovery. We were able to phone a member that was at the meet point to explain the situation and apologise, and an apology was posted on the forum later. There's a lot of time and effort put into organising these events (and only 2 of us doing it!) so we don't just decide not to turn up on a whim!!!Please note the request at the end of the next post.

Anyway, on to this year's run at Garelochhead.....

yellodisco

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 12:30:12 AM »
OK, so access to MoD Garelochhead training area now signed off and all good to go.

After the unfortunate last minute cancellation last year  (due to flooding) we have been able to get back into this area which is a fantastic GRR. Excellent driving along the "Bosnia Road" training area, and up to the "hillside village". This is a great site with some more challenging optional roads off to the side. on a clear day, the views are outstanding, down Loch Long and over to the Arrochar Alps.
Sign on from 10am and last departure will be at 11 (see map below - meeting 300 yards along track south west off main road, at junction with minor road) - please don't be late as we have to lock the entry gate. Each vehicle must have at least one club member in it for insurance purposes - also, open to Range / Land Rovers only!.
Cost for this run is £10 per vehicle to cover MoD charges. Non-members can sign up on the day - annual membership is £25. Families (and dogs) welcome to come along and make a day of it - there may even be some portaloos on site.  If you havent tried a Green Road Run before, why not come aong to this one and use some of your vehicle's off-road abilities in a safe sociable environment. These routes can be driven easily by standard day-to-day Land Rover vehicles on road tyres. This is the last Green Road Run of this year, and there won't be another until the end of February, so let's see a really good support for this one. Please spread the word and encourage others to attend.

Now read on.........
The Club needs stronger representation on the committee from non-competitive members (e.g. Green Road Run attendees). We could also do with more support in helping to organise GRRs - if you would be interested in joining the committee and helping to run the club, and / or providing help with the running of GRRs, please speak to me at this event when I can give more details of what's involved. Without more support, there won't be so many runs next year.
Read on further....here's my regular plea in the hope that one day we'll get a response! We've got access to a few regular sites and forest, but it would be great if we could get access into some new areas of hilltracks. Please, please, please, if you know of any contacts that might be able to get us access to new areas, or if you have any suggestions, or if you would be willing to explore and knock on a few doors, please give me a shout - would be great if we could do something new next year....please!
Hope to see loads of you on the 11th.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 08:37:47 PM by yellodisco »

yellodisco

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 08:38:02 PM »
Just realised, charges were missing from post - £10 for the day - added now.

Craigrob79

• Name: Craig
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 02:10:04 PM »
Sounds great, REALLY hoping to make this one & join on the day. I presume the big collection of LRs will be a bit of a giveaway but if you see a dark blue disco2 hurtling past then please give chase!!
Never done one of these so presume tow rope, boots and waterproofs are all I'll need?
-Craig

yellodisco

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 10:56:39 PM »
Hi Craig, look out for the orange arrows at the side of the road, at the top of the hill coming up from the Garelochhead side. Towrope shouldn't be necessary, and hopefully waterproofs not required either. most of the driving is on good solid tracks - when I was there a couple of weeks ago, there's a short (optional) section that's a bit washed out, but more of an axle-twister than mud to get stuck in.
hope you can make it, Alan