23rd October, Green Road Run, Carron Valley forest

· 6 · 1937

yellodisco

• Name: Alan Griffith
23rd October, Green Road Run, Carron Valley forest
« on: September 27, 2016, 08:45:46 PM »
next date for your diaries is 23rd October when a return trip to Carron Valley Forest is planned. Full details will be posted on here once the formal paperwork is signed off by Forestry Commission, but everything was looking positive at the site meeting last week, so stick the date in the calendar, and as soon as its confirmed I'll provide full details, Alan

OldJocksRustbucket

Re: 23rd October, Green Road Run, Carron Valley forest
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 07:41:24 PM »
Hi Alan, sounds good, looking forward to meeting up again, hope everything goes ok with the forestry commission,
Cheers
Jock

yellodisco

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 10:47:45 PM »
Confirmation of run on Sunday 23rd OCtober - Paperwork received today so all good to go!

Meeting point is the Forestry Commission car park on the B818 between Denny and Fintry, at east end of Carron Valley Reservoir. If coming up from the south you may want to come over via Takmadoon Road from Kilsyth as that in itself is an interesting drive, with a small ford, deeper after heavy rain. On approach to forest car park, after crossing bridge, please turn left to where we will be congregating ,NOT IN MAIN CARPARK.
We have been granted access to almost 20 miles of forest tracks all of which is safely drive-able by road going vehicles. We were here 2 years ago and have been given access to some tracks that were off-limits last time, but some other areas are off limits this time. There were some grass covered sections when I recce'd it a few weeks ago, but had no problem on road tyres. there are some slightly muddier tracks due to recent forestry operations, but definitely no off-road areas for "playing about" in.
Sign on is between 10 and 11, and we have to be clear of the forest by 4pm. Cost is £13 to cover FC charges. Each vehicle must have at least one club member in it for insurance purposes - also, open to Land Rovers only!. It is also a requirement on FC land that all vehicles have off-road cover - PLEASE CHECK YOUR POLICIES.
 There are toilets at the meeting point but few other facilities in the area so bring a packed lunch /picnic. There is sometimes a snack bar in the car park at weekends, but don't rely on it.
Families (and dogs) welcome to come along and make a day of it. There are lots of scenic picnic spots and the Forestry have asked me to highlight some of the features in this forest, as below.
There's a Loch Shore Trail woodland walk including a children's activity area. The summit of Meikle Bin hill (1886 feet) is only a 20 minute walk from the highest point of our route, and provides the most prominent vantage point in the Campsies from where it is possible to see Scotland coast to coast: from Bass Rock and the lowlands of the Forth Valley in the east to Ben Lomond and Ben Ledi in the west many of the articipants last time did walk to the top and enjoyed it. Duncarron Medieval Village is a full scale replica of a fortified village being constructed by volunteers from the Clanranald Trust and has open days throughout the year.  The forest is rich in wildlife, including red deer, red squirrels (which don't hibernate), pine martens and ospreys (which have probably migrated now!).
So, plenty to see and do in this forest, in addition to lots of track driving - a clear sunny day would be great! Hope to see a good turnout , and if it does get busy at sign-on we have been asked to take care not to block the car park for the general public. If you havent tried a Green Road Run before, why not come aong to this one and use some of your vehicle's off-road abilities in a safe sociable environment.
Help Required - we need to have 4 marshals on the day - I've already got 2 but need more. So anyone that knows how forest runs operate, can arrive early to help set up, and help ensure forest is clear at end, please get in touch.
More Help Required - as ever, I'm looking for more areas that we can access for GRRs - if youve any ideas or contacts please let me know, or speak to me on the day
Give me a shout if you need any other info. Cheers, Alan

Chris81

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 12:46:13 PM »
Think I'll make this one my first GRR :-)

OldJocksRustbucket

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 07:48:20 PM »
Thanks Alan for all your efforts in organising the day, good turnout and great company, weather was pretty good as well, enjoyed the day out, cheers.
Jock

yellodisco

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 10:46:00 PM »
No problem Jock - good to see you again