GRR September 24/25 - Kielder

· 9 · 2170

yellodisco

• Name: Alan Griffith
GRR September 24/25 - Kielder
« on: August 11, 2016, 11:38:38 PM »
Details now confirmed for September GRR - we're having a return trip to Kielder Forest in Northumberland.....with the  option to camp overnight on the Saturday, 24th September. We ran this event last year and had a great weekend  - 9 vehicles turned up and we had an enjoyable day doing the forest drive and exploring some interesting UCRs (unclassified county roads) which were somewhat overgrown and poorly maintained in places - one was almost an RTV section! On the Sunday, we set off down the main road by Kielder reservoir and over the dam, then drove a selection of interesting green lanes, fininshing off with a deep ford (which some of us chickened out of!)
Plan as follows -  meet at Kielder campsite at midday on the Saturday, do the forest drive, some greenlanes then return to the campsite for food, drink, chat, stay-over - if not wanting to cook, there's a pub that does good bar meals about 1/4 mile from site - had a most enjoyable evening in there last year. On the Sunday, we will go and explore more UCRs.
Anyone not wanting to stay over can just do the Saturday run , or alternatively come down on the Sunday morning for the day.

Kielder campsite directions are on website detailed below. The Forest drive is open to the public so not too challenging and about 12 miles long,  - cost is £4.
Camping is £15.00 for 2 person tent, £20 for up to 4. Caravans are £25 incl. electric hook-up. Fairly basic campsite but good showers and toilets, some barbecue benches and they do allow camp fires as long as they're in a fire pit and don't damage the ground. Hopefully the worst of the midges will be past by end September.
If wishing to camp on the Saturday you will need to book directly on 01434 250291 or email kieldercampsite@btconnect.com - more info at kieldercampsite.co.uk. When booking please let them know that you're with Scottish Land Rover Owners - I've provisionally booked 10 pitches so that we can all be together in the same area as last year - please book early if planning to go - more pitches can be made available if required, dependent on public bookings.

If you're planning to go to this, can you also respond on here, or send me a PM to advise if intending to go both days and camp over, or just going on one day - would be good if we could get a few folks together for camping again. If there's a good turnout we will need to split into smaller groups for the greenlanes, so if anyone has maps of the area, please bring them.

Give me a shout if any more details required, Cheers, Alan

OldJocksRustbucket

Re: GRR September 24/25 - Kielder
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 09:14:43 AM »
Hi Alan I'd like to come along for both days, provisional for now as I'm just getting the rust bucket back on the road but should be ok for those dates unless something major occurs
Cheers
Jock

Alandy

• Name: Alan Lahaise
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 09:37:54 PM »
Hi Alan, yes, I hope to come to either Sat or Sunday, not camping. Should be with another club member plus their car too. Will confirm a little nearer the day.  Cheers. Alan. Will bring loppers!
Cheers,

Alan

chrislightweight

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 09:35:09 AM »
Hi id like to come along on the sunday as long as work allows (depends on the harvest)

Just got round to filling in my membership form and will get it sent off today

OldJocksRustbucket

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 09:01:50 PM »
Alan
Definitely coming both days, booking campsite today

Jock

yellodisco

• Name: Alan Griffith
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 11:31:06 PM »
Hi Folks, only a few days to go. Can I ask if anyone has OS maps of the area (Keilder down towards Hexham) or digital maps on an I-Pad / laptop etc, can you bring them along as we will probably need to split into 2 or 3 groups.
Also, if anyone is planning to have Saturday dinner in the pub / restaurant beside the campsite, please note that they will not allow restaurant entry or take food orders after 6pm as they have a private function on in the evening - pub will still be open later, but no food (thanks for letting me know Caroline)
Saturday departure - midday, Sunday departure 11am, from campsite on both days.
Remember midge repellent, citronella candles and wood for the campfire
Alan

OldJocksRustbucket

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 04:51:19 PM »
Hi Alan
if anyone going wants to sign in to the OS maps there is a 7 day free trial
Jock

Alandy

• Name: Alan Lahaise
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 08:04:18 AM »
Hi Alan,
Am planning to come along with one other SLROC member (two vehicles) either Sat or Sunday. Not camping.  Will see you at the camp site. With loppers! Cheers. Alan
Cheers,

Alan

OldJocksRustbucket

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 06:47:30 PM »
Hi Alan, fantastic weekend, thank you for all your hard work arranging everything so it ran smoothly on the day, great drives, great company, look forward to the next one.
Cheers
Jock