April GRR weekend, 22nd - 24th - Loch Ness

· 11 · 3581

yellodisco

• Name: Alan Griffith
April GRR weekend, 22nd - 24th - Loch Ness
« on: March 05, 2016, 12:11:08 AM »
Hi all,
Planning something a bit different for April – a group of enthusiasts are planning a Land Rover gathering, charity camping weekend up by Loch Ness and have invited us to join them – we have agreed to go to this and are now helping to organise. The weekend will be based at Loch Ness Shores campsite (www.lochnessshores.com) right on the side of the loch at Foyers, and will run from Friday 22nd to Monday 25th April, although you can arrive and leave anytime, whatever suits. You can obviously bring your own tent or caravan, but if wanting to go “up-market” the site also has wigwam pods for hire. To book, please call Donald and Lynn Forbes at the campsite directly on 01456 486333, stating that you are booking for the Land Rover Event – Donald & Lynn have agreed to donate a portion of their fees to the charity which is Maggies Cancer Charity (www.maggiescentres.org) . The organisers of this had a road run in the Angus Glens last year which some of our members participated in and  raised £1,200 – this year we are aiming higher with a full weekend of activities.
Format for the weekend – this will be a social weekend with plenty of walks in  the vicinity, bbq’s , campfires on the shore of the loch and banter, fishing from the lochside, and a charity raffle. There is a drive-out planned for the Saturday, taking an interesting route up to the Black Isle and hopefully some dolphin spotting; for the Sunday we are in the process of arranging some off-road driving – more specific details for both of these will be published once arrangements are confirmed.
If wishing to take part, please book directly as above, and also put a post on here so we have an idea of how many (and who) are going to this. Watch out for more details.

Andy 90

• Name: Andy Dunbar
Re: April GRR weekend, 22nd - 24th - Loch Ness
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 02:50:41 PM »

I assume the organisers are aware that there is closed road cycling event is on Sunday 24th? http://www.etapelochness.com

Dont suppose it will matter if theres plans for offloading though ;D

yellodisco

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 10:27:37 PM »
Not had any success yet getting off-roading organised (at least, not at a reasonable cost) but still making enquiries. Have been in touch with Highland 4x4 club and while unable to help with off-road routes, they are having a trial on the Sunday near Alness that our members would be welcome at.
Does anyone on here have any ideas for off roading in Loch Ness area.
Organisers of the weekend have approx 20 vehicles booked in, but I don't know how many are SLROC members. Is anyone from here planning, or booked to go?
Will update here if any progress with off-road, but please advise if planning to go . Thanks, Alan

Navigator

• Discovery 4 Causeway
  • Name: Stuart Clink
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 11:11:43 PM »
I would like to go as am in the area with caravan then, but a bit concerned there will be nothing happening. Not a good area for friendly locals - the Corrieyarick Pass is near there! Have the organisers got things planned for on-road or on the campsite?
Navigator          GM1VBE

Andy 90

• Name: Andy Dunbar
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 12:45:24 PM »
Alan

I had been considering this but my other half is running the London Marathon and this complicates me getting away for the weekend. Very selfish of her!

I spend a bit of time up that way with work and have seen signs for a place near Loch Ashie- a quick google brought this place up but it looks as though it is now permanently closed. http://www.experience4x4.com/contact.html

It may be worth someone calling the mobile number to see if access is still available?

Andy

Greigboy

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 05:54:09 AM »
Purely my own opinion, but I wouldn't bother with Experience 4x4 it's a small manufactured pay and play site that's aimed at corporate clients who have never been off road as opposed to seasoned mud pluggers.
A group of us done it a couple of years ago and you have to follow a set course like lemmings and it only takes an hour to go around the whole site, it was described by one of our party as going out for a round of golf only to find a pitch and putt course :)
Their priority was very much their own corporate work as opposed to pay and play, but the last time we were there they were after £40 odd for a day's pay and play, but I believe that almost doubled before it closed and TBH a morning well and truly killed it.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 07:45:53 AM by Greigboy »
1986 Land Rover 90 CSW V8

Alandy

• Name: Alan Lahaise
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 10:56:39 PM »
Am hoping an easy off-road green lane event can take place on the Sunday as have been looking forward to it for a while. I know of another member who is planning to attend too. Sorry but I don't know of anywhere in the area to go.
Cheers,

Alan

yellodisco

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 10:59:39 PM »
Followed up with some local contacts but have been unable to get any off-road organised.
Charity weekend still going ahead at this campsite and organisers of that have advised there are around 20 vehicles booked in so far. There will be an on-road run on the Saturday, with a BBQ at the campsite in the evening, and then some local activities on the Sunday. Please see original post for details to book in and to participate.

ALLYZ66

• Name: ALASDAIR WARDROP
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 10:57:14 PM »
intrested in going to this with my family as it's a good run up to get my disco fettled properly for it's MOT(may 30th),a good run usally brings up probs that ive not noticed before.
i'm phoning tomorrow to book so will confirm later.

Colin

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 09:55:18 PM »
Hi,

The weather forecast seems good, well dry anyway, and my son is keen. Is anyone else going?

Cheers,

Colin

Navigator

• Discovery 4 Causeway
  • Name: Stuart Clink
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 11:05:14 PM »
Where did you get a good forecast? Ones I've seen say "COLD"!
Navigator          GM1VBE