28th Sept - GRR, Kielder, Northumberland

· 6 · 1964

yellodisco

• Name: Alan Griffith
28th Sept - GRR, Kielder, Northumberland
« on: September 06, 2014, 07:54:34 AM »
Something a little  different for the next GRR - a trip into Northumberland.....with the  option to camp overnight on the Saturday, 27th.
We'll be setting off from Kielder village which is only 3 miles over the border, and doing the Kielder Forest Drive, possibly followed by some green lanes in the area and some scenic drives -details still being investigated!
Plan is to set off from the Kielder campsite (clear directions on website detailed below)at 11am on the Sunday morning -slightly later start than usual to allow time for those driving down in the morning. The Forest drive is open to the public so not too challenging. It's 12 miles long, so a 24 mile round trip - cost is £4.
Camping is £14.50 for 2 person tent, £17 for up to 4. Caravans are £25 incl. electric hook-up. Fairly basic campsite but good showers and toilets, some barbecue benches and they do allow camp fires as long as they're in a fire pit and don't damage the ground - there's also a good little pub that does bar meals a few hundred yards from the site.
If wishing to camp on the Saturday please book directly on 01434 250291 or email kieldercampsite@btconnect.com - more info at kieldercampsite.co.uk. When booking please let them know that you're with Scottish Land Rover Owners and they'll put us on pitches beside each other. Could you also post on here or send me a PM if intending to go so that I've an idea of numbers - would be great to get a good sized group together for camping.
Give me a shout if any more details required, Cheers, Alan

yellodisco

Re: 28th Sept - GRR, Kielder, Northumberland
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 07:36:52 PM »
Hi folks,
Can you please let me know if you're intending to go on this GRR, whether camping or just planning to turn up on the Sunday. At the moment I've only had one response and we need a good few more to make it worthwhile running the event, Thanks, Alan

tomb raider

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 10:25:58 PM »

Hi Allan will take my caravan down on sat or mabe Friday night so would be a pitty if we don't get enough response so come on folks lete us know cheers Dougie

Udo

• Name: Tom Hunter
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 08:42:58 AM »
I'll go on Sunday, and Michael Meakin will be there as well.

So that's another two vehicles to add to the roster.

Looking forward to it.

Tom

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 12:19:49 PM by Udo »

DRH

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 07:03:22 PM »
Hi Alan

I intend being there - please post if it's not happening

Duncan

yellodisco

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 09:53:41 PM »
It looks like we'll have at least half a dozen (though no-one is up for the camping! ) so let's meet at the Kielder campsite entrance (just to north of keilder village)  ready to set off at 11am on Sunday. Suggested route would be to do the 12mile forest drive which will take us out on the A68. Then head south-east and turn off A68 again about 2 miles south of Otterburn junction. There are quite a few unclassified roads around here, eventually leading down to Lanehead. From there we can head towards Bellingham, then depending how long this has taken us, we can either go back up to Kielder or could carry on, taking more unclassified roads towards Eatinghamrigg, Stonehaugh, Coldcote and finishing up back on the B6318 near Haltwhistle. I haven't been to recce the route but have been given some "pointers" by someone that knows the area well and there are quite a few interesting roads in the areas mentioned. With such a small number of people we don't need to follow a fixed route but can have a flexible day exploring some of Northumberlands unclassified roads.
Remember to bring a picnic lunch.
If anyone else is planning to come along, please let me know, Alan
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 10:09:25 PM by yellodisco »