Winch Insurance

· 7 · 1337

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Winch Insurance
« on: March 23, 2012, 09:36:10 PM »
I thought I'd better be a good boy and declare my winch to the Insurers - NFU. The gal I spoke to was a bit unsure so I was worried I might get something added to the premium. Nope, letter in the post today..." have noted N459... with winch on standard terms" and a revised cost of £0.00. Good.

G.
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

georgew

Re: Winch Insurance
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 06:55:48 AM »
I can see them accepting it as a Declared Modification ,
 but are they insuring the winch against theft or loss in that event?
(usually the Broker or Underwriter states that the winch will not be covered against 'theft or loss' ie they will not pay out for it.)

george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

Pilot Custard

• Name: Ian Stuart
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 07:57:10 AM »
I've declared all my mods with them: spring lift; additional audio (radios); winch & bumper; underbody protection; 200tdi in 300tdi vehicle; etc..... again, all happily accepted.

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 08:12:31 PM »
I can see them accepting it as a Declared Modification ,
 but are they insuring the winch against theft or loss in that event?
(usually the Broker or Underwriter states that the winch will not be covered against 'theft or loss' ie they will not pay out for it.)

george

What part of " on standard terms" are you failing to understand George ? 
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

stage recovery

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 11:20:35 PM »
My experience with 2 companies advertising in LRO  is WHATS A WINCH ?   I knew then to go elswhere.  Churchill eventually decided they could not give me a quote as the vehicle is fitted with a rollcage!

georgew

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 07:28:51 AM »
Only asking.
Its good that they are covering the replacement of your winch if it was to be stolen off the vehicle that it is on..
Top Tip if they do & i will be trying them for a quote when i next need  cover.

I do not know what your policy has as 'standard terms' (& exclusions) are concerning 'additional equipment' or 'accessories'.
Possibly the 'standard terms' are like those for Audio/radio equipment and 'tools' etc and cover to £1000 or whatever.

I only have my own experience of having one winch & bumper stolen,
 and one winch bumper and winch damaged in a collision.

The  winch that was stolen off a vehicle was on the declaration sheet for the 4x4 off road modified vehicle & photographed and had the original purchase receipt,
but when the winch and winch bumper  was stolen it turned out it was not covered against theft,
it had just been accepted by the insurance as a added 'risk' but could not be claimed against.
(the winch mounting bolts had welds to stop them from been taken off without being cut or a grinder used, but they took the bumper and winch)

I was not surprised when i had a vehicle hit by another driver while parked, there was quite extensive frontal damage and the winch was damaged.
 (i had asked obviously after the first experience, if a winch was covered against loss and told they were accepted as a fitment and modifiction but not covered against loss or damage.)
The repair was done under the insurance & the bumper was replaced like for like, as again it was Declared & pictured with a winch fitted for the 'Agreed Value Policy',
I had to pay the Excess which i never got back, even though i was not at fault, and the Insurance Company would not agree the replacement of the winch with the vehicles repair under the terms of the policy..

I have 2 vehicles with winches on vehicles and both are covered with declared mods but no cover against the winches.
But they are only £350 & £400 winches and the excess is £350, so i just try to be very carefull that they are not going anyplace
other than staying safely on the bumper.

george

« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 08:22:03 AM by georgew »
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

cruncher 110

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 09:32:01 PM »
i have had a winch fitted about a month ago,i never thought to tell the insurance,best play it safe and let them know :).thanks for bringing the subject  up  :)