For users of Memory Map Navigator Digital OS maps on iPad and iPhone

· 7 · 1665

Tim

• Carbon has a footprint but it has no feet.........
Next time you synch your iPhone or iPad you will find that if you use the app for Memory Map Navigator there is an update. DO NOT UPGRADE to the latest version otherwise you will loose your OS map tiles from your device. It appears there is either a glitch with the update or MMN have a licensing problem with the OS. If you are updating using a synch cable and iTunes and loose your OS map tiles you might be lucky and find the old version of the app has gone to the recycle bin, and you may be able to restore your device to that version.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 10:32:27 AM by Tim »
On my drive now - Zanzibar Bronze Evoque 5 door Dynamic Lux Plus with Intelligence & Black Packs with Tan interior
Gone - Fuji White RR Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux Plus
Staying - 1996 Epsom Green TDi 300 CHT that is now a CSW

coolcamper55

Re: User of Memory Map Navigator Digital OS maps on iPad and iPhone
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 10:43:50 PM »
I understand from reading some GPS bulletins that Apple are in the process of divorcing from their current map suppliers and at a half way house regarding which way to go. They recently purchased a mapping outfit but its not just ready to roll out yet perhaps they are hedging their bets so might expect a few glitches in the next few months.

I normally let the early adopters find the bugs and then upgrade when its all fixed, less hassle

Tommy

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 11:05:31 PM »
I bought a Memory Map GPS - nearly a very costly error. The thing was hopeless. Bug-ridden and very badly tested, failed on me several times in the first few days of use - suggested remedy from their customer services was to carry a paperclip to insert in the "reset" hole.  Not an act of war on a hill in bad weather I suggest ?

...anyway, TISO were kind enough to accept that the thing was pants and gave me a full refund which I spent on a Garmin Oregon 450. Now that is a work of art. Absolute perfection as far as my uses ( walking and 4x4 nav) are concerned. It actually does the whole "car satnav" thing, turn by turn, but using the OS 1:50k as a basemap when you set it to "navigate on road" - as well as all the stuff I need for the hills. I've also loaded Garmins Eastern Europe mapping ( £39  and cover about 6 countries !) for my trips to Poland, takes me right onto the location, even covers all the farm tracks - "follow unpaved road to..." Superb, given that the last location was a hilltop 5 miles from the Ukrainian border.

I now use MM software on my PC to plot UK routes, flag waypoints etc etc then download them to the Garmin and backload my actual track. Works a treat - but I'd not use MM hardware under any circumstance.  ( Oh - and they blocked me from their Forum for telling people about the problems I'd had with the kit. Nice.) 

Edited to add.... in terms of Tims original post, I'd not put it past MM not to have tested the software properly - likely scenario, nor to be looking for a way to get folk to buy all their maps again - cynical scenario. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 11:13:27 PM by genem »
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

Tim

• Carbon has a footprint but it has no feet.........
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 10:31:54 AM »
The problem at the moment isn't with Apple, it is with MM. It could be a software glitch but nobody at MM is saying. It could also be that Apple has hiked their cut that they take from app developers and MM has decided that it isn't worth their while supporting the app, as you do when you have $69billion sitting around in the bank doing nothing!

Gene I also tried one of those systems from Tisco's and yes it was almost useless and I got my money back as well. I have been running MM on PC's and laptops for years without any problems. I first installed the app on my iPhone but the screen was way too small to make it anything other than an emergency system. The iPad was really good as you can see the screen easily and it works well even on GPS(A).
On my drive now - Zanzibar Bronze Evoque 5 door Dynamic Lux Plus with Intelligence & Black Packs with Tan interior
Gone - Fuji White RR Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux Plus
Staying - 1996 Epsom Green TDi 300 CHT that is now a CSW

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
Re: For users of Memory Map Navigator Digital OS maps on iPad and iPhone
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 10:51:49 AM »
I found MM customer service to be dreadful - and trawling about on their own (censored) forum I found that they had loads of dissatisfied customers across their range of hardware "waiting for upgrades" that had been promised for literally years.  It seemed to be a case of "Fire and Forget" as far as launching kit was concerned.

They seemed to have a sort of self-policing clientele on the Forum site as well - you could discuss how you had made a perspex case for your kit to make up for the missing "Screen lock" but not actually sound off about how having a screen-lock was kinda fundamental if you wanted to put the kit in your pocket while walking - without getting attacked by their "Fans"... and then you'd get  banned. The 3800 model I bought was being heavily discounted within months of launch, which says a lot.  - Note they also pushed hard to sell it to off-roaders and cyclists - it might actually work OK-ish fixed on a dashboard - but it was priced within £20 of Garmin units with WAY more features, properly tested and superbly reliable.

If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

piper5

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 05:48:29 PM »
had similar issue to yours gene with MM i switched to fugawi its much better, i have it on a touchscreen toughbook in the landrover

sardass

• Mountain Rescue Search Dogs
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 06:36:33 PM »
I use view ranger on my iPhone this works really well you can get either 1:25000 or 1:50000, the customer services is excellent as well
Paul Martin
www.sarda.org.uk
Disco 300TDI