Crossply vs Radials

· 7 · 2059

CBRCBR

Crossply vs Radials
« on: September 10, 2010, 07:26:49 PM »
Does anyone have any advice on the following. 

I have 205R16 Goodyear Wranglers at the moment on SWB rims which are in good nick, and use my 88" for tyro's.  I would like a set of off road biased 7.50/16's but don't really want to shell out ?400 for new radials and wheels.  It seems to be fairly easy to get hold of 2nd hand 7.50/16 crossplys on LWB rims, but I had always thought radials were better/safer. 

I had also thought that 7.50/16 were an option on my 1972 S111, so I would not have to advise my insurers of non standard tyres, where as 235/85R16's would be classed as non standard, particularly if fitted to non series rims.

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers Clive

georgew

Re: Crossply vs Radials
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 08:03:25 PM »
I would hope your insurance company dont expect your vehicle to still have 38 year old tyres fitted,
&
 that they will respect the fact that advances in tyre technology have resulted in safer tyres being fitted in the 38 years since the said vehicle was registered for the road.

I believe since you are not moving to far in size from the originals,
 that they will not be picking fault with your choice of tyres or size.

As to non standard rims, you are staying within the LR family & fitment, & staying steel.
A LR can be expected to be used on different tyres & tyre sizes in different seasons
& in different conditions.

Its not like you are going to alloys.
Which their normal risk increase consideration is the additional risk of theft of the wheels.

Do you have your LR insured on classic insurance?
Do you have it on agreed value by having supplied pictures etc, & a detailed
description?
george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

CBRCBR

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 08:48:03 PM »
Thanks George.

The car is on a classic policy but not on an agreed value.

235/85R16 are the closest metric tyre to 7.50/16's.  So do you think that 235/85R16's on disco 1 steel rims, would still be classed as "standard"? 

Although I thought I would get better lock with 7.50/16's on LWB rims, is that the case?.

Cheers Clive

georgew

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 09:01:05 PM »
Sorry i dont know series motors & their wheels etc.

I know you need to watch the wheel stud length & have enough showing which ever wheels you use.
If you need longer studs, thats easy enough.
& watch the wheel cone/seating has the correct type of nut to seat properly in it.

Someone with Series experience will be along hopefully to give advice.
george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

lreay

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 10:31:23 PM »
I put 235/85/16 fitted to steel modulars on my series 2a, informed the insurance company and wasn't charged any extra for them. Worth checking with your insurance first but I wouldn't have thought there would be any issues.

Cheers
Luke

CBRCBR

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 11:01:39 PM »
Cheers Luke
What about crossply vs radials?  As I say there seem to be more crossplys kicking around.

Clive

Lwtman

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 11:32:57 PM »
Well,

I have tried x-plys, and it was not a pleasant experience!! You can fit disco 1 rims but it gives you a bigger turning circle. The offset is not the same. The latest LRO has a little book on tyres etc. which gives a good write up on all the possibilities. I have a copy if you want to have a look.

Peter