TD5 struggling above 65

· 18 · 5479

vag_landy

• Name: Greg Leighton
TD5 struggling above 65
« on: June 25, 2012, 12:25:56 PM »
This is a intermitant problem sometimes she pulls fine to 70 but this morning coming off erskine bridge trying to get above 65 was like hitting a strong head wind. I have had this before and it turned out to a torn intercooler hose now replaced with silicon hoses . So I now it's not that cars drives brilliant until it comes to carriage ways . I'm think air flow mass meter but not to sure as I'm not going to waste money if it's something else any advice , is there a by pass to prove the AFM is broke like unplugging it will it show up on diagnostics
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

piper5

Re: TD5 struggling above 65
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 03:53:21 PM »
dont just discount the hoses check them all again, you may find a clip has come loose, then check basics like fuel filter, oil in ecu plug.
plug it in to a diagnostics unit before you go buying expensive bits, theres gonna be somebody near you that has one

DRH

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 07:03:27 PM »
Again don't discount the replacement hoses, on some of our buses, we've had them delaminating on the inside and blocking air flow.  We're also has pin holes in the pipework they attach to which drags the power down as well.

vag_landy

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 09:20:41 PM »
i'll have another look tomorrow i did change injector loom but think there maybe oil at the plug , whats best to clean the plug with?
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

DRH

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 09:50:58 PM »
Brake cleaner sprayed in the ususally cleans/dries it off plug off.  It worked with mine as a temp measure until I managed to get a repalcement loom.  It had quite a bad misfire before then.

Also check the wiring below/around the cylinder head - mine was quite brittle and had a lot of oil about it

Duncan the c

boghog

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 11:38:24 PM »
Best advice I got regarding the MAF was to unplug the connector from it. If the engine then runs better it is definitely the MAF. Saves you the cost of diagnostics and is very simple check and easily reversible.

Hope you find the cause whatever it is.

cooltshirt

• savethegaywhale.com
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 06:39:12 PM »
Best advice I got regarding the MAF was to unplug the connector from it. If the engine then runs better it is definitely the MAF. Saves you the cost of diagnostics and is very simple check and easily reversible.

This worked for me, the box of tricks will switch to a default fuelling map and switch off the EGR. Went alot better like that. Bought a new britpart MAF from GEMM and sorted! I gather failure is common...................

What made me suspect the MAF was that everything worked fine, no misfire or anything, but not enough urge and the last 25% of the throttle did nothing.

Good luck
1983 110 V8. RIP

georgew

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 08:33:50 PM »
vag_landy,
just read your post on converting to a Station Wagon and the fact you fitted a Snorkel.

Did you happen to use Silicon Sealer when waterproofing the Snorkel or Airbox etc. ?
'Silicone Sealer' can Kill the MAF sensor.
(you get Oxygen Safe marked stuff)

george
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 09:00:45 PM by georgew »
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

vag_landy

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 08:42:17 PM »
Cheers for the advice cool shirt that's exactly what's happening thottle doing nothing on the floor . does fuel consumption suffer when unplugged . How much was the britpart MAF .
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

cooltshirt

• savethegaywhale.com
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 08:59:48 PM »
Thanks  :)

Fuel consumption suffers when unplugged only because you are going faster!

I gather a genuine MAF is £100

I paid around £80 ......... worth it for the difference.................. and it should work as the diagnosis was in my case very clear indeed. Oh and I did clean the old one properly as many suggest elsewhere on the www .............. didn't work for me.

From what I read be very wary of cheaper ones on a well known internet auction site  ;) ............ leave it unplugged until $$ turns up in your Nat West account, but that's another thread...................

1983 110 V8. RIP

vag_landy

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 09:12:33 PM »
Haha I'm RBS and my company banks with RBS so not expecting my monthly wages . Did you disconnect both plugs or the one plug on MAF as I noticed there is a plug in the filter box.
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

cooltshirt

• savethegaywhale.com
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 09:25:43 PM »
Just the MAF sensor plug ....................... I think the one on the air filter box may be to do with air pressure, but only does anything at higher than UK altitude.
1983 110 V8. RIP

vag_landy

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 08:04:52 AM »
Unplugged the MAF sensor and Landy feels nippier still to do the carriageway test so I'll keep you all posted
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

vag_landy

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 08:31:22 PM »
Tried two stroke in the Landy and it's running even better x x x
Vw Audi Group
PP Golf GTi
Puma XS 90
Ex MOD 90

Dave T

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 07:01:31 AM »
Tried two stroke in the Landy and it's running even better x x x

Certainly makes them quieter but I haven't noticed any extra MPG or anything. Unipart is quite cheap when you pass £1.87 plus VAT for 500 ml
1994 Defender 90
2016 D4 Graphite