freelander

· 17 · 3970

gary1968

freelander
« on: December 07, 2010, 11:17:22 PM »
After selling my touring caravan earlier this year I then sold my Disco TD5 (bad move!). What with the current weather, and the fact I do miss my Landy I am thinking of getting a Freelander.
Budget is an issue, with a max of ?2K to spend I think I will be restricted to at best a year 2000 1.8 petrol version.
I am aware of the potential HG problems and VCU problems. I know roughly how to check if the HG is blown, is there any good / reliable way to check the VCU? Is there anything else I should be aware of when looking at Freelanders?
I guess what I would like to know is, is this likely to be a good choice or a bit of a pig in a poke? ( I currently have a Laguna II 1.9dci Sports Tourer so am not adversed to taking a chance on 'risky' cars, lol)
Any help and/or advice appriciated folks.
Oh, and glad to be back on SLROC.

Cheers,
Gary

neils

• Name: Neil Scott
Re: freelander
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 11:39:16 PM »
Shouldnt be too much of a problem, just make sure EVERYTHING works. Make sure ALL the drivetrain components are there and there is drive to all wheels. Its seems to be a common case of removing parts to hide bigger problems. Check the TC, ABS & HDC work during test drive. Check the rear diff mounts too. Rust doesnt appear to be a major problem its more mechanical. Overall if its got a recent MOT and all is well with running gear it should be fine & is a great Land Rover for everyday use, its also fantastic in the snow! There are lots of forums on line for hints and fixes when things do go wrong. Also once you get it dont panic if you hear strange noises from drivetrain when reversing out driveway, I had this and spent a while worrying about great expensive IRD repairs etc only to find it was handbrake linkage slightly seized.
88" coil v8 trials motor
S111 Project
62 Willys Wagon (project)  shh keep this quiet!

gary1968

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 10:39:13 PM »
Thanks for that, a bit of reassurance has helped me make my mind up. I have considered a Jap 4x4 for the same money but they are a bit older at that price and more importantly 'I like Landrovers'.
So just have to find a nice Freelander now and part wi some cash..... I dont recall many freelanders at the SLROC days out I have been to, open dyas and GRR's so it''ll be interesting to see what it can do.....  :)
I'll keep you posted as to progress.

Gary

sthrifty

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 06:11:59 PM »
Cant help on the what to check front,but i can tell you they are very able offroad there are a fair few turning up at events now.

I drove one up a hill at Bathgate which a RRC failed on,well able just watch deep ruts.

Best of luck hope you find a good one.....its still a green oval
1995 300 tdi csw 110
series 3 109 2.25p
ex mil 1986 90 s/t 2.5na
88on galv chassis needs rebuild and more
Disco m reg 2l mpi
[/

gary1968

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 09:21:40 PM »
Managed to get myself as pretty nice Freebie 1.8iES. Its a y2000 on an X plate.
I have found a wee problem with it though, that didn't appear on the test drive, it would appear that there is a rumbling sound from the back end, and a knocking sound when turning tightly, also from the back end.....  ???
I have it booked into Gem4x4 next Monday but if the weather forecast materialises I am gonna need the Landy.
So in the mean time, any one able to offer some advice as to what could be wrong with it?

Cheers,
Gary

georgew

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 09:34:08 PM »
I hope nothing major,
is there reciepts or service record showing any parts already replaced?
Unfortunatly lots of Freelander problems comes down to the 'viscous coupling siezing',
Lots of other possible reasons tho.

www.ashcrofttransmissions.co.uk
This should gve you some idea of the parts involved.

george
No need to be stuck for long.
www.recce-gear.co.uk

neils

• Name: Neil Scott
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 11:39:17 PM »
Hopefully its just rear diff mounts, simple fix. When I had that problem it rumbled more when you lifted off, I think the diff tilted more and put more stress on propshaft joints etc. Same when turning it was twisting and knocking.

Reports say VCU should be replaced at 70,000miles to prevent problems (a job I should do soon, @ 133,000now oops) although its 250-400 for recon/replacement unit it could prevent even bigger bills.
88" coil v8 trials motor
S111 Project
62 Willys Wagon (project)  shh keep this quiet!

gary1968

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 05:39:41 PM »
With the impending weather forecasts I am gonna give Gem a call and cancel for now, I will check the diff mountings at the weekend, I will also have a look at the VCU carrier bearings. It has done 104K miles so I too am thinking that I should replace the VCU before owt else gets damaged.
The way I see it now, is I have bought it and if it needs work done then it will get it, deffo no Mondo modification, whats the point of a Landy if its only 2wd.
Until I get to the bottom of this rumbling there wont be any long journeys, or off road antics as I dont want to stress anything just now.
I do like the car though, it is nice to drive, fairly quick and if web reports are to be believed 'should' give similar mpg to the TD5 disco I had, so should therefor be a bit cheaper to run as petrol is cheaper, or is this a case of wishful thinking.
Thanks for the inpt so far guys, anyhting else you can think of that I can check please let me know.

Gary

Graeme

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 06:24:06 PM »
you have not stated what mpg you are getting with either your freelander or td5 my two freelanders were into low to mid 30s the best i ever got from any land rover product and to date i have had 14

gary1968

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 08:41:41 PM »
I was getting 26~27mpg around town and 32~34mpg on a run with the td5 disco, mind you that was driving it like a nun, lol
I aint had the freelander long enough to have worked that out yet.

Gary

Tommy B

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 08:58:26 PM »

Gary, what do you mean 'no off road antics'!!!  I've only just fitted a rear recover point to the back of the Defender just to tow you out!!
  ;D

Never Apologise - Never Explain                     (Sorry, I should say I read that in a book somewhere!!)

gary1968

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 09:02:20 PM »
You got your smug head on again bro? lol
There will be plenty of time for that when I get the 'noise' fixed....... on a more worrying note, Debz had a shot of the Freelander tonight and liked it!
Pretty much decided what ever it needs it will get, even if its a recon IRD! (but dont tell the missus, lol)

Gary

Graeme

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 09:07:09 PM »
with the td5 20 gallons  of diesel done 520 miles =26 mpg auto        the freelanders were always 30/ 34 mpg all driven the same way freebies were manual petrol

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 10:30:15 PM »
Thanks for the inpt so far guys, anyhting else you can think of that I can check please let me know.

Gary

We had similar rumbles and knockings - it was pretty much every bush and rubber mounting from the VCU backwards. The other thing at the same time was the rear propshaft, splines badly worn. Hello Ebay....
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

gary1968

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 10:46:37 PM »
Thanks for that Genem, hopefully this weekend I will be lying under the Freebie, and able to see a faulty item or 2. I have my eye on diff mounting kits on evilbay, not too dear.
I am fairly sure I will have to change the VCU as it does feel like the transmission is winding up on full lock. Have any of you guys heard any reports on this ebay sellers VCU.... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Land-Rover-Freelander-Viscous-Coupling-Unit-VCU-/130463376364?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e603923ec , seems like a decent price to me.

Gary