Fitting an Immobiliser

· 17 · 3920

Blutack

Fitting an Immobiliser
« on: October 07, 2010, 09:02:19 PM »

So I've picked up my new pride and joy  :D, and it's all good.  However, when the insurance confirmation arrived, it said "You have confirmed that the car has a factory fitted immobiliser"....... which I hadn't!

When I told them it has no immobiliser, they insisted that I fit one. This apparently does not need to be Thatcham approved, but does have to be some sort of electro-mechanical device (a steering wheel or pedal lock is not sufficient).

Has anybody else come up against this one, and if so, any good solutions?

Cheers!

piper5

Re: Fitting an Immobiliser
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 09:51:40 PM »
what about a hidden switch cutting the stop solenoid if its a diesel?
presuming its not a td5

Buffalo Bill

• Name: Bill Conner
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 09:56:17 PM »
Have they specified what kind of immobiliser they want fitted??

as i think they have a rating for insurance porposes
1989 110
1990 90
1988 90
1972 V8 WOOP WOOP

coolcamper55

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 10:09:37 PM »
Suggest a battery isolator switch on the feed to the earth lead, you can get them with with a key and mount it on the seat box. I am assuming you dont have central locking as if not you would have problems.

T

CBRCBR

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 10:14:42 PM »
A word of caution - please don't post detailed responses to this question in the public area.  You never who is watching the site, or picking up ideas on how immobilisers are fitted, and therefore bypassed.

coolcamper55

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 10:44:02 PM »
Maybe your right, but all you need to do is put it into google it tells you all you need to know if you are so inclined.
Just my opinion

Tommy

Blutack

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 11:27:15 PM »
Have they specified what kind of immobiliser they want fitted??

No they haven't, and that's the funny thing IMHO. All they've asked for is some sort of electro-mechanical device, and have said that mechanical only devices are unacceptable. I can fit it myself if I like, and all they require is a written confirmation of what I have done.

This is for a 300tdi defender, insured through Adrian Flux, so I'm sure others will have had this issue as well.

A word of caution - please don't post detailed responses to this question in the public area.  You never who is watching the site, or picking up ideas on how immobilisers are fitted, and therefore bypassed.

Ah ok, fair enough. This may be the reason that my earlier google search didn't turn up very much. Still, if anybody knows of good solutions that are already in the public domain, do please share, or for more innovative solutions  ;), I'd love a PM.

Cheers!

jumbo

• drive through car wash landrover style
    • photo bucket
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 12:22:55 AM »
buy one of the basic screaming alarms from argos if they would fit. but often its the sneaky one off immobisers that do the most to baffle a thief. battery isolators are a good example but why not hide it? sneaky, fit a dummy on the seat box, thats the usual place, then hide another one under dash or somewhere, even better taking its 'key' with you. transfer boxes in neutral is another sneaky way. catches many owners out too lol.

seems rather pointless insisting you fit an immobiliser but without specifying what type/rating ???
doug
2005 3door freelander td4
1986 90s/w with 200tdi

warning::: any jokes posted by myself come with a health warning!!!!!

genem

• I'm not completely daft. Some pieces are missing.
  • Name: Gene Maxwell
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 12:27:08 AM »
Any ignition component with "Lucas" written on it should do the job.....  ;)
If its not broken you are not trying hard enough....

piper5

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 05:42:26 PM »
if its a 300 tdi then use the stop solenoid wire
you then have multiple ways to cut it, hidden switch/ dummy wiper switch/ relayed thru something else,
 you can also use a heavy winch type solenoid thru the same circuit/switch and cut the starter power feed
really comes down to how creative you want to be, or go buy a kit

CairnsAndrew

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 07:51:05 PM »
How much you want to spend is what it comes down to. Personally I would buy a kit. Keep the receipt and a photo of it having been installed so that if heaven forbid it does go walkies and is never found you have evidence of you having fitted it.
1972 Series 3, Currently under restoration
1994 3dr Disco 200tdi

mudpuddle

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 07:57:33 PM »
I am currently breaking a Range Rover Classic with a immobiliser fitted. It is a black wire system and looking at it it is really easy to fit. If your intrested you pm me

Blutack

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 10:19:10 PM »
Personally I would buy a kit.

Done! -  I bought a kit from fleabay in the end for ?30, and managed to glean enough info from the web and the Haynes Manual to do the install myself (took about 4 hours, going carefully). I even managed to put the dashboard back together with only a few screws left over!  ;D

Thanks for all your help folks!

POAH

• Quantum Capture automotive Photography
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 06:54:35 PM »
I got one fitted for abour ?80 - its a thatcham cat 2 transponder unit.

jumbo

• drive through car wash landrover style
    • photo bucket
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 07:01:11 PM »
i always though all landies had a built in anti-theft device, known as 'breakdown' when even the rightfull owner cant get it started  ??? ???
doug
2005 3door freelander td4
1986 90s/w with 200tdi

warning::: any jokes posted by myself come with a health warning!!!!!