Body-off Chassis Reconditioning...

· 18 · 4864

top drive

• They gave me an MOT - fools
Re: Body-off Chassis Reconditioning...
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2015, 06:05:59 PM »
I get that patch work is bad .

How ever dont be under the impression that a ladder chassis land rover doesnt have impact crumple zones.

It was designed to fail behind the front spring mount in a heavy frontal impact. If it did not crumple it would be even more lethal.

That little compressor wont run a spot blaster well i have linked 3hp 14cfm 100l tank and a 2.5hp 9cfm 24l and get half decent results and will struggle with a needlescaler for any length of time- constant use even depletes my tandem set up

Needle scalers are also extraordinarly noisy.

I did 85 or so % of my chassis with a wire wheel on a grinder

I also wasnt shy with the mash hammer. Any deformation and the shit was cut out. Hence the whole rear xmember was replaced and a front dumb iron.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 06:08:45 PM by top drive »
`87 ninety - full rebuild with 11l 200tdi conversion ,2 inch lift and 13 inch shocks and relevent protection/sliders./ dislocation cones

Goes like a stabbed rat.

aqms987

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2015, 08:34:14 PM »
 They can also break/deform in hard use off road, usually failing adjacent to weld repairs! I have seen chassis so deformed the doors are stopping them bending in the middle till they are opened. This was on vehicles with a lot of time left on the MOT but well past the the time limit for disciplinary action to be taken by VOSA.

top drive

• They gave me an MOT - fools
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2015, 10:12:23 PM »
I guess you mean "Weld" :)

Badly welded shit is bad :)

Mot mans looking for solid sounds with his toffee hammer and a continuous seam he doesnt have any more authority than that .

I could give you a continuous seam thats barely penetrated the rust never mind fully fused, give it a. Grind and it would pass mot. Thats the scary part,
`87 ninety - full rebuild with 11l 200tdi conversion ,2 inch lift and 13 inch shocks and relevent protection/sliders./ dislocation cones

Goes like a stabbed rat.